Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My MX63 build

My MX63 build

Picked up a pretty clean 1983 Cressida today. Had a bad alternator so I got a pretty good deal on it. The car has 180k miles and is pretty clean inside and out with only a few door dings. The car will be daily driven for the foreseeable future so the mods will come slowly for now. Plans include a W58 swap, new drivers seat, steering wheel with quick release, some 15x9 -15 wheels, intake, exhaust, LSD, circle track springs and some stiffer shocks. Once I get a different DD I will be turboing a 5m, I am planning on getting it to about 250-300 RWHP.

The wheels I am planning on getting

Feel free to throw out some ideas of other stuff I should do.

Re: My MX63 build

just personal opinion - stay away from those rotas. if you want to roll on fake old-school baller shit, get the hayashi street knockoffs. they're infinitely better looking and resellable.

cressida stuff is easy. start planning your swap for when the M gives up on you now. don't be tempted by the 5,M 6M or 7M route. you will spend more money and end up with less motor. 2jzge with a front sump will probably be the best all-around option. you might be out $300-500 up front. you will make that up over the lifetime of the car vs. a turbo 5M many, many times over.

usdm x6's are the ugliest and the hardest to make look decent. jameson's car is an example of doing it right, whether you're looking at it pre-sharknose or post.

if you have a digi cluster and the other super-80's options good for you. if not, definitely a worthwhile addition.

never looked into the possibility of swapping jdm body parts onto this chassis, dunno what fits but it would probably be mark ii stuff if anything. cruise yja.

My nephew ran a turboed rebuilt 5M at 258rwp for over a year with out a problem and he is helping with my build so I am going to try that route, if it does not work then I am planning on going 1/2jz. As far as the wheels go I would love to get some real old JDM wheels, but finding something that is close to the right fitment and price is an issue as I am a broke ass college student with 2 kids. I need to find Jamesons car, see how he did things and how it looks. And yes I have the digi dash and all the other awesome 80's gear

just letting you know about the M stuff. you've been warned. better to do it right the first time than spend the money twice, know what i mean? i won't turn this into an engine v. engine debate, i've seen a lot of people go the M route and get burned.

rota makes those street knockoffs that would look bad ass on an x6. i've seen them on an x7 and they are perfect fit and look. those sakura knockoffs never quite looked *right* compared to the copies of other cool old school wheels. nothing wrong with dailying on knockoffs, i wish i had a set so i could keep my Tom's fresh.

if you're looking to ditch that huge plastic usdm bumper there are some other options out there that look nicer. hint, jameson's car, hint.

Yeah I have read a bunch on the problems of the m engines but after watching him build and drive that turbo 5m supra I thank that built correctly and not pushed too hard the 5m will do what I want and not blow up too soon. As far as wheels go I have not made any decisions for sure but I would like something a little more aggressive than 15x9 +0 which is part of the reason that I am leaning towards those rotas over the hayashi knockoffs. Found some pics of jamesons car and I really like the bumpers, now I need to find a set and a new drivers tail light cover

Edit: Just found the Rota shakotans in -15! Super excited

I have been looking but I cant find out what truck the front bumper on Jameson's car is off....need to know as I headed to the junk yard here soon and I need one of those bumpers

Edit: NVM its off a Datsun 720

I was just looking at your thread, killer job dude the car looks great!

Thanks man.

BTW, don't go M; go JZ, haha.

That is what everyone is saying but its a big chunk of change and large loss of torque, I pm'd ya by the way