Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooner the better build '79 Te51

Sooner the better build '79 Te51

Haha get it, sooner...because I'm stuckk in Oklahoma... seriously everyone here tried mud trucks and chevies :sigh:

Anyways I recently purchased my first "Japanese nostalgia car". It's a 1979 2TC powered Corolla sport coupe SR5. When I got the car the interior was in rough shape. It was missing numerous pieces and the seats were two passenger seats rigged to fit and each was a different color. The body was in good shape aside from the color and a tiny bit of damage to the bottom of the driver front fender. Previous owner said they tagged a curb. It also came with a brand new Weber, a vintage set of Enkei Compe8's and a folding rag top. Not a bad deal for $1800 I think. Oh and the best part was it only had 83k original miles. I plan to slowly build the car in a sort of "restomod" fashion. I've been aimlessly wondering the forums for ideas as well as browsing Craigslist for some deals. A 1uz-fe would be fun but the 5spd swaps are so expensive for that engine. Anyways here's some pics from the pic day after only a wash and vacuum. The interior was completely taken out afterwards including the trunk and this thing is nearly rust free. All I could find was some surface rust on the damage fender and the exhaust :mrgreen:

Re: Sooner the better build '79 Te51

Here's a few pics from a weekend project a week or two after driving it back and forth to school. I decided I was sick of driving with the ugly mismatched seats and missing panels. I couldn't find a parts car locally so I went to the local pick-n-pull salvage yard and scored two 1G DSM seats for $26. A light steel, angle grinder and cursing later I had two matching seats in the car. Next up was the missing panels. I framed up a storage area behind the seats and stenciled out some replacement panels with poster board. I then cut them out of 1/4 inch sheet wood and covered each with black leather to match. Since I don't have a back seat now, does that mean it's a Roadster? lol :P

The weather's been pretty crappy the past few days so I've been stuck inside. All the trim, bumpers, badges etc are off of the car at the moment so I thought I'd refinish some of them.

That brings everything up to date as to what I've been doing this week. Here's a few teasers for everyone to look forward to / prepare to hate on

Front 15x8 +0 Rear 16x9 +0

Datsun Z arches

VW mk1 chin spoiler

modified fiberglass Te27 rear deck wing

Oh and the reason the car is apart

That's it for now until she's finished and back together :mrgreen:

Car looks great, I actually really like the colour - the gold Enkeis really make it pop, too. 8) Is that a factory shade? I feel like I checked out an A40 Celica recently that was originally that colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft
    Car looks great, I actually really like the colour - the gold Enkeis really make it pop, too. 8) Is that a factory shade? I feel like I checked out an A40 Celica recently that was originally that colour.
    That was the original color I've seen it on a few different models from the era, it wasn't to my taste though. I hope the new color will update the look and bring this neglected model some deserved attention

I was never a fan of that gen of corolla, but that body style has grown on my. Love the car and curious where its going to end up.

Loving it man! The wheels are a good choice

Should I color match the fender flares to the body or match them in satin black to my bumpers and trim?

Leave 'em carbon, looks cool and will sort of match your bumpers and trim.