Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 CVCC Accord 5spd sedan restoration and rebirth.**PICS**

1981 CVCC Accord 5spd sedan restoration and rebirth.**PICS**

Greetings JNC! Its finally time to breath new life into my tired and trusty '81 Accord my kids and i call "Betty". Around fall 2011 i was still daily driving old faithfull when suddenly the motor decided to quit after 30 years of service and awesome fuel economy. Dissappointment set in which comes with the territory sometimes keeping an old car on the road. Selling her was not an option so i closed the hood, walked away, and she sat for over a year which gets us here today. I always said if the motor ever gave out i would do a dohc mpfi swap or do her right with a full restoration, i chose to restore. She always took care of me so she deserves it. lol

I purchased "Betty" running, original, and rough around the edges in late '03 as a throw away car (suspended DL at the time) for $350. After running through the drivetrain and making her street worthy i daily drove her an average of at least 100 miles a day till the day the motor broke. I really grew to love the character and driving experience of the old car and racked up thousands of miles. I had driven the car on many memorable "missions" and was never left stranded, not once. When i was younger with no kids i took the accord everywhere from many T.J. and Ensenada Mexico trips to middle of nowhere desert parties and loads of LA/Hollywood trips. It was always funny hitting venues with valet parking for shits and giggles. Nowadays my kids also love her and really enjoy being in it and bouncing down the road! They always ask "When are you going to fix Betty dad?" lol

It is the original motor so actual mileage is unknown. Gotta love a 5 digi odometer! So with internal engine damage, unknown engine noise from the block when cold possibly piston slap or rod knock, and an oil consumption issue. The motor was a bit tired to say the least. I opted to find a clean untouched longblock which was not an easy task. After about half a year with no luck and only finding junk and neglected motors i finally found the motor you see here locally at a pick-a-part type yard out of a clean donor that read 68k on the clock. I checked the motor out and popped the pan to check the crank and finally found a winner. I returned the following weekend to take advantage of a 50% off sale on everything in the yard, dropped and purchased the complete swap including the trans and all accessories from the carb to the pan and everything in between for total of $206.00 USD, even included an older type hood with the hood emblem that i found there. Great day at the junkyard!

Sorry for the cellphone pic quality but you get the picture. Enjoy.

Here are pics in older threads

viewtopic.php?t=3368
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11457

Finally being moved to a place i can wrench and begin to dissassemble after sitting over a year.

Donor car at the wrecking yard.

Complete drivetrain removed.

Accessories removed and ready to remove 30 years of grime.

Clutch looked really good with little wear and lots of material on the disc.

Good sign.

Re: 1981 CVCC Accord 5spd sedan restoration and rebirth.**PI

Original oem "SUMITOMO 1981" sparkplug wires.

Coolant passage very clean with almost no corrosion.

To avoid headache and easy reference later i made my own timing marks before removal of dist and t-belt.

Hard to see but i also made a mark on block and lower timing gear. You can also see the lack of corrosion at the waterpump location/coolant tube.

Original timing belt?

CVCC head ready for cleaning, complete valve job, aux/valve seals, valve guides, and resurface.

Each piston location marked . . . .

******SHORTBLOCK DISSASSEMBLY*******

Rods marked for location.

Factory bearing are clean and marked. There's a reason Honda engines can go 500K+ miles with ease if not abused and maintained properly. Honda offers 7 different sized "color coded" bearings for rods/mains and i've never used or been a fan of aftermarket "standard size" or one size fits all bearings. If they're clean they are returned to the factory location to retain honda specs and reliability.

Crank removed and you can really see the motor was cared for or maybe the 68k mile odo reading could be correct.

Main bearings marked for re-use.

Bare block ready for machine shop. deck-hone-hot tank.

All bearings marked. Crank ready to be micropolished and balanced. Pistons ready for a hefty cleaning.

Few parts ready for powdercoating.

Factory flywheel is going to be resurfaced, lightened to 4.5lbs, and balanced.

Loving the work so far. Nice to see a rebuild being done on these forgotten honda's.

Awesome score on the motor, the bottom end looks brand new! I love early Accords and I can't wait to see this one develop.

In for the build, I love the color!