Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project - Mazda Factory Race Rx7 S1 (aka Daytona #7)

Project - Mazda Factory Race Rx7 S1 (aka Daytona #7)

Hi All

Thought I'd finally share my project, on the factory built Rx7 race car replica, as raced in Daytona 1979 race. Using the MFR components found in the Rx7 Competition Preparation and Service manual. It been a long/hard/costly project so far, with many hours/days/years searching the web for parts.

Here are some shot of the cars being tested back in the day, on which my car will be painted with light and dark green stripes.

Those cars were powered by the MFR 12a PP engine and using all the MFR parts bin. The list of MFR parts is a long one, look here.
    Mazda Factory Race parts
    Story so far, The Late Loen Prgomet started with my shell and install the new roll cage, rear control arm mounting to suit the longer MFR arms, drivers seat mount with cutting the floor (I'm a tall bastard), fuel tank and exhaust system. Once completed it was off to start the paint and panel.
    Pic's of the cage and floor mod:

Back to bare metal....

Under coat and flares fit up....

In Polyester

Under car and engine bay in colour Aurora White (WN)

This is where the project is at and just waiting until the weather heats up for the rest to be painted and suspension is installed. Mind you about 400 hours worked on the body work so far, back to bare metal and rust repairs.
    painted the cabin area. Flat black as the factory cars.

Re: Project - Mazda Factory Race Rx7 S1 (aka Daytona #7)

Then starting to paint up all the suspension, diff and front end aswell, so you'll have to hold out until then, for some of MFR gear...... :wink:

Well it painted, body only at this stage. Now for the spoilers, arches and doors, then the Green stripping.

Filling and sanding the spoilers...
    The front spoiler will be done.

Here's the pic's, but only a mock up,(keep them off the floor) as still need the new bolts/fixings.
    Very Happy and the look.....So far

painting the front and rear suspension stuff. Gettng ready to take the car off the spit, so we can paint the strips and flow coat the clear.

MFR Diff Housing

MFR Front Control Arms

Genuine MFR X Member

put togther the MFR front struts.

Started putting together the front ends and rear ends over the past week. Had to wait on some stuff from Mazda. ie new bolts and rear spring rubber mount.

Carrying out the trial fitt of the 14" SSR mk3 rims. Fronts are 8.5 and rear 11, will require new inner and outer rims spun up for the rear ones. The factory cars had 9"s on the front, but the 8.5 will done. (Save a few dollars where you can I guess).

Here's a pic of the MFR Brake Duct and MFR Steering Box, has a ratio of 2.7 turns lock to lock. Standard is around 4 turns, make the steering heavy.

its off the spit and rolling......

The fuel cap fit.

Started fitting up the series 2-3 type front spoiler, as I was unable to find a genuine type to suit series 1. Cut the bumper off the top of the spoiler (as it was a one piece, see pic) and some trimming of the sides. The front apron middle section of the genuine one had to be cut. A little more trial fitting required and slight mods.......but looks great with bumper on, only a little gap between the guard and spoiler.

Play around with front spoiler and think this the best position, bit more sharping and undercoat to come. Once I find some nutserts and button head bolts for the flares, fit them up, touch up and then flow coating the car. Then the strips painted on, job done. (body work that is)

nice. It'll be a beautiful car when it's finished.

The cars now has been rubbed down and masked up. Few spots require a bit of white, then its onto the stripes.

Well the stripes are masked up, after around 10 hours, over a couple of days. Should have them painted by the weeks end, then a rub down with 2000 and flow coat. Plus i've just noticed the window door frame is blackened, so more painting to follow.......

Both colours done, now. \/

The cars now flow coated.......

The start of putting together the car.
    Rear lights with new gaskets/rubber and lens. Just waiting on some bit and pieces from Mazda Japan.

Trying to use as much new parts as possible. :wink:

New vents, connectors and screws.

Taillights in, but just still waiting on the new washers, that fit around the lens screws. Also a new weather seal for the hatch.

New brake booster and clutch master, aswell a new bonnet latch.

New door handles

New door seals, inner and outer weatherstrips. Best to install the inner one first.

Mounted the pedal box aswell and cables

This is a series 2 pedal box, as i can't find the genuine clutch bracket, for the larger MFR brake booster could fit. Just cut the clutch mount on the fire wall and move it over 20mm.

Gee you got that done quick Lloyd! :wink:

Love it! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
    Danny

Automotive a in the making!