Thread: '71 510, this might suck...

'71 510, this might suck...

Well, I decided to get back to my roots. Started out with 510s and 521 pickups, and I've always wanted to get another one. So when this retired local race car came up for sale, I jumped on it for $500. Came with 2 extra sets of doors and 3 extra sets of fenders. 3 complete sets of wheels including a nice set of staggered 13" slots! All he could tell me about the engine is that it's a "frankenstein L", so I'm going to have to research it a bit, but supposedly it screams. Also got 2 complete sets of sidedrafts. The LR quarter is toast, and it's been flared, very badly, so I'm prolly going to replace it. Also the rocker on the drivers side is done. Other than that, rust is t too bad. Also has a full roll cage and new floor pans. I don't think I did too bad for $500, but it's going to be a lot of work. I promised my wife I'd finish my motorcycle before touching this thing, so no updates for a while. Anyway, here's some pics, I'll take better ones later.

Re: '71 510, this might suck...

Quote Originally Posted by shane_lxi
    I don't think I did too bad for $500, but it's going to be a lot of work.
    I'd say you did phenomenally! The carbs might fetch that much alone. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by shane_lxi
    I promised my wife I'd finish my motorcycle before touching this thing...
    Wow, very understanding wife. The women I know (who aren't into cars), would have said I'd have to finish my motorcycle before buying this thing...

I might sell the su carbs and buy a weber, but I'm not sure yet. It came with a stock intake manifold as well. I also noticed that what I thought was a grant wheel on my extra steering column is actually a very old school looking 'personal' steering wheel. Might sell that too, since I'm not super into it and it's prolly worth something to somebody, lol.

My wife's been more understanding since she started her own hobby, but she still gets on my case sometimes, lol. That's alright, if she wasn't around, I'd be in a ridiculous amount of debt. I'd have a shitload of cars though.

Best engine for 510 engine Nissan Silvia SR20 Turbo

Success

Na, I think this is going to stay L series. Maybe a ka24 eventually, but I'll be fine with a little carbed L for a while.

That'a boy, stick with the L :mrgreen: