Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I drive An Old Car...An Old Japanese Car...Pics

Why I drive An Old Car...An Old Japanese Car...Pics

Because new cars even ones pushing $40,000 ALL look the same..as exciting to look at as a bar of soap:

Why do all these cars look the same, have designers lost their imagination to produce unique good looking cars that people want to own and drive?
    Case 1: New E Class Benz:

Case 2: Current A6 Audi:

Case 3: Current Hyundai Sonata:

Case 4: New Camry:

Ironically the Sonata has been in production longer than the A6 and the new E-Class so the Europeans are now copying the Koreans. Time have changed!

I shake my head....
    Yasin

Administrator
    Haha, good point. I've all but stopped paying attention to newer cars. I have more important things to memorize than a bunch of alphanumeric model names.

I actually bought my Datsun so that I could drive it back to work and not wear out my '64 Fairlane.

After I bought the Datsun though I decided I really liked it and, after rebuilding the front end, I just couldn't bring myself to subject it to the rigors of my almost forty mile daily commute so I picked up a $250 '96 Grand Prix hoopty to use as a beater.

After I bought the Pontiac the wife started noticing some flaws in it:

wife: "Hey the passenger side window doesn't roll down!".

me: "nope. that door is completely gutted - that window has a chunk of 2x4 jammed under it to keep it up."

wife: "you gonna fix that!?!"

me: "ya don't fix hoopties dear".

:lol:

Re: Why I drive An Old Car...An Old Japanese Car...Pics

Quote Originally Posted by slownrusty
    Because new cars even ones pushing $40,000 ALL look the same..as exciting to look at as a bar of soap:
    Not all of them.....

Love it or hate it......there is no confusing an EVO with anything else....wings,flairs,vents.......

Here's the 2005 Lexus GS:

And the 2009 Jag XF:

...oh wait a sec...maybe it's the other way around...

I just like the notion that Japanese manufacturers used to be accused of being copycats when today it's clearly the other way around.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by paulneartarga
    Quote Originally Posted by slownrusty
    Not all of them.....

Love it or hate it......there is no confusing an EVO with anything else....wings,flairs,vents.......
    And you can't confuse the Evo with anything that could be defined as beautiful.

Yesterday, I stared at an Evo going past, and I thought "That looks like one of those yard signs of the fat, old woman bending over and working on the lawn".

The last two generations of Lancer and the current generation of Impreza prove the statement "I can forgive a lot of ugliness if it goes like spit, and thankfully it goes like spit, because there is a lot of ugliness to forgive."

Then I stared at a new Nissan Altima. It looked more like a giant boulder, half buried in the ground, than a car.

The history teacher drummed it into our heads that every stylistic trend or artistic movement has three phases. It starts out sort of primitive and unsure and has to find itself (proto). Then they get it down tight and perfect it (high style). And finally, they overdo it and run it into the ground (flamboyant or gaudy).
    If we trace the sporty three door coupe or hatch back, it starts out with light weight cars in the 1970's (proto), then they got porky with luxury features in the 80's (high style), and finally morbidly overweight in the 90's (the end of the trend).
    The current aesthetic for car styling is coming to a similar close. It started with the last generation Supra, which was described in great detail as owing much of its design to the study of the shape of a lump of clay inside a latex balloon. That Altima looked exactly like that clay filled balloon. A big lump.

Cars used to look light, dynamic, like land bound rocket ships. Not any more. Now it's a world full of big boulders and clay filled balloons.

There is an old philosophy question:
    "What happens when an irresistible/unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"
    Well, we used to drive around in cars that looked like the unstoppable force. Now all they sell are cars that look like the immovable object.

Quote Originally Posted by JT191
    And you can't confuse the Evo with anything that could be defined as beautiful.
    Yesterday, I stared at an Evo going past, and I thought "That looks like one of those yard signs of the fat, old woman bending over and working on the lawn".
    The last two generations of Lancer and the current generation of Impreza prove the statement "I can forgive a lot of ugliness if it goes like spit, and thankfully it goes like spit, because there is a lot of ugliness to forgive."
    :lol: Like I said......love or hate...... :lol:

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Here's the 2005 Lexus GS...
    Well played, kev... well played.

Aerodynamic cars SUCK, I prefer squarer 80s cars. Blame the 86 Taurus for that ugly trend. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    Haha, good point. I've all but stopped paying attention to newer cars. I have more important things to memorize than a bunch of alphanumeric model names.
    True, I have a hard enough time trying to memorize alphanumeric chassis codes like KPGC10, TA22, S30, AE86, MS75, TE27...