Thread: Clarkson's Car Years - How Japan Took Over the World & Lost

Clarkson's Car Years - How Japan Took Over the World & Lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTSXDcuQdBc

So according to Jeremy Clarkson, the Japanese Car Industry got it's boost after WWI......from British car maker Austin? Eh?

Re: Clarkson's Car Years - How Japan Took Over the World & L

Clarkson is full of sh!t most of the time in my opinion. He always makes these bogus assumptions, and tends to bad-mouth most american stuff. Entertaining., but should not be taken seriously. Saying japanese car names are bad, would you rather your car named Silvia, Gloria, or named after some numbers like alot of European cars?

Quote Originally Posted by hypertek
    Clarkson is full of sh!t most of the time in my opinion. He always makes these bogus assumptions, and tends to bad-mouth most american stuff. Entertaining., but should not be taken seriously. Saying japanese car names are bad, would you rather your car named Silvia, Gloria, or named after some numbers like alot of European cars?
    Letters are better? lol
    RSX, TL, G35, IS300

What's the big mystery?

Nissan put together 'CKD' kit ( Completely Knocked Down ) Austins and manufactured Austin-designed cars from late 1952 onwards. The arrangement suited Austin ( they made a decent amount of money out of the deal in a time when it was most welcome ) and it suited Nissan too. The partnership came to an end in 1959.

This is not Clarkson or Top Gear's invention.

Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney

Yeah this is old news really. Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't hino build knock down kits of Renault's that ultimately lead to the contessa?

[quote="tj75gc"]Yeah this is old news really. Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't hino build knock down kits of Renault's that ultimately lead to the contessa?

Hino's Caravel was superior to Renault's version. It had the Hino badge and every one of the few I saw from 1960 to 1963 was white.

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H
    What's the big mystery?

Nissan put together 'CKD' kit ( Completely Knocked Down ) Austins and manufactured Austin-designed cars from late 1952 onwards. The arrangement suited Austin ( they made a decent amount of money out of the deal in a time when it was most welcome ) and it suited Nissan too. The partnership came to an end in 1959.

This is not Clarkson or Top Gear's invention.

He's right you know. American occupation forces were more concentrated on the re-organisation of Japan into a democracy and setting up food distribution. The British Commonwealth Occupational Force was tasked primarily with the decronstrution of the Japanese war industries and their conversion into civil and private companies concentrating on transport infrastructure and vehicles.
    America contributed again with the Korean war meaning shipping and the American bases in Japan putting more money into Japan but they still had very little to do with influencing the car manufacturers as much as the British. it was only into the late sixties when the likes of the Bluebird flopped in the states that the Japanese car makers tried more to emulate the larger American vehicles but even then the small coupes and roadsters were scaled on the likes of Triumph etc.