Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW CELICA

NEW CELICA

FYI:

I have been lobbying Toyota really hard to name the FT-86 as a Celica. We will know soon.

Our last meeting (with Toyota Product Planning guys from Japan)- they were all stunned about me ranting about it. In fact, I felt it was my last chance to do so, so I laid it out strong and almost angry. (They were startled to see me all fired up- I usually just smile and joke around.)

"Celica is the original Toyota sports car." "The AE86 is based on cartoons and video." "The dimensions and weight are 1st gen Celica (AE86 too!!)" "Celica has won more events in more motorsport classes" "Celica has heritage and it's own line- the AE86 is a Corolla sub-class" "Remember Mustang, Camaro?- this has to be Celica!" "Whoever is handling this is a newbie, who never KNEW Toyota's most popular sports model" and many more one liners.

Just before flying back to Tokyo, one of the top (if not the TOP) guy in Toyoya Product Planning Japan called me again to reiterate my points. He took notes.

I challenged them to park 4 cars in front of headquarters- one each RA20 and AE86, and one each modified ones as used in racing. They knew I had a valid point.

I hope my message was not too late. If it indeed is named Celica..... they finally realized.

Scion tC was also meant as replacement- but it was FWD and Scion, so it did not matter.

About the "boxer" engine.....

At the next meeting could you put in a word for a new MR2? I'm thinking an evolution of the last model with a Yamaha tuned 1.8 Valvematic engine. :wink:

Re: NEW CELICA

Quote Originally Posted by groupb
    FYI:

I have been lobbying Toyota really hard to name the FT-86 as a Celica. We will know soon.

Our last meeting (with Toyota Product Planning guys from Japan)- they were all stunned about me ranting about it. In fact, I felt it was my last chance to do so, so I laid it out strong and almost angry. (They were startled to see me all fired up- I usually just smile and joke around.)

"Celica is the original Toyota sports car." "The AE86 is based on cartoons and video." "The dimensions and weight are 1st gen Celica (AE86 too!!)" "Celica has won more events in more motorsport classes" "Celica has heritage and it's own line- the AE86 is a Corolla sub-class" "Remember Mustang, Camaro?- this has to be Celica!" "Whoever is handling this is a newbie, who never KNEW Toyota's most popular sports model" and many more one liners.

Just before flying back to Tokyo, one of the top (if not the TOP) guy in Toyoya Product Planning Japan called me again to reiterate my points. He took notes.

I challenged them to park 4 cars in front of headquarters- one each RA20 and AE86, and one each modified ones as used in racing. They knew I had a valid point.

I hope my message was not too late. If it indeed is named Celica..... they finally realized.

Scion tC was also meant as replacement- but it was FWD and Scion, so it did not matter.

About the "boxer" engine.....
    If they would just pull that boxer engine, then I would consider buying one. I don't care what it's called.

Nothing would pluck my heartstrings in a more virtuoso fashion than a Yamaha-tuned Toyota inline-4,but for one thing "beggars can't be choosers" and we've had to beg Toyota for a sportscar and second the boxer does (correct me if I'm wrong) have Toyota's direct injection system,so it's not completely "alien".

Can you yell at them to make it look more like an RA20 as well while you're at it? :lol:

I don't know squat about engines, but if the 'new' celica/86 has a boxer engine, wouldn't it be more appropriate to make this a Sports 800 successor? :lol: :P :roll: :wink:

p.s. Is it boxer or boxster?

dont really care the name but make it

under $25K
    rwd
    naturally aspirated if possible
    160-200 hp

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotageek
    p.s. Is it boxer or boxster?
    That would be boxer, cause the 2 banks of 2 pistons each moving side to side is like two boxers duking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    That would be boxer, cause the 2 banks of 2 pistons each moving side to side is like two boxers duking it out.
    Hmmm...is that a technical explination? I always assumed it had something to do with the layout of the engine being box shaped, or square?