Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 HR30 "L30"

1983 HR30 "L30"

Meet my new baby :mrgreen: I was on the hunt for a classic car to take back to the US from Japan for about the last several months. I narrowed it down to Skylines, but just couldn't decided on which model I wanted. So when I saw this bad boy for sale, I just had to jump on it. Everything I love about Skylines from the 70's to 80's all in one car?! Yes please :tu: Besides, when's the last time you've seen a l30 in a R30? :wink:

The car's last owner is a good dude,but not very mechanically knowledagble, and wasn't in to keeping the car clean like I am. All go, no show kind of guy I guess. No problem, just meant the first weekend with my new toy has been spent cleaning LOL. Here's the bay before:

few hours later:

and as of today...still got a little ways to go before I'm happy (sorry for hipster instagram pic) l28, stroked to 3.0, big tomei cam/tomei gear, fresh block and head, SK inlet mani (anyone know where I can the red logo plate from?), OER carbs, mystery 6-2-1 header

before and after a fairly quick detail. will do a full blown detail soon

last owner has a clutch on order for me (current one is extremely shot) pics in a better location to follow when I can drive it without fear of being stranded haha

I have A LOT to learn about these engines/carbs, but I'm no stranger to the wrench :wink: Should be fun! Few plans (in no real order) as of now would be:

Get the new ACT 6 puck in soon as it arrives in the mail
    Continue to clean up wiring and everything
    Install R32 caliper upgrade all around
    Get carbs tuned (if i can't get it right..more than likely going to be the case haha)
    Get a full interior
    DR30 tails
    Real heat shield
    Enjoy the drive

Nothing beats the sound of a triple carb'd l series!

Re: 1983 HR30 L28

Quote Originally Posted by familycar
    Real heat shield
    I was going to ask why you took the old one off... :P

Looks like a lot of fun. :tu: :mrgreen:

ya the old heat shield looked pretty cool. Looked like it have a fresh air vent. Car looks good. Always wondered what a L28 would feel like compared to the FJ in a R30.

Those Wats totally make the car. What kind of octane is ran on a 10:1?

Btw nice pcv/garden hose lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennymonster
    Those Wats totally make the car. What kind of octane is ran on a 10:1?

Btw nice pcv/garden hose lol.
    i agree. they fit the car perfectly :mrgreen: i run 100ron. might adjust for base 93 octane gas though. Hi oc in japan is $$$$$$$ lol...yea gotta love the hose :roll: i tried finding a new real hose or breather filter yesterday, no joy :/ it'll get addressed though. not to mention, it'll be one less concern for when I take the car back to the US and i can only find 91 or 93

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuX
    ya the old heat shield looked pretty cool. Looked like it have a fresh air vent. Car looks good. Always wondered what a L28 would feel like compared to the FJ in a R30.
    it was a good idea, but a little raggity. i prefer just a normal heat sheild. it's cold as all hell here now, so not in a rush with that. heat wrap works pretty well to boot.. i havent gone for a real ride in a FJ car, but there's definitly a nice jump in tq delivery and instant response. seriously going nuts waiting for the new clutch! really want to drive the car hard. even with the slipping disc in there now, i was completly shocked at how quick the car is :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Quote Originally Posted by familycar
    Real heat shield
    I was going to ask why you took the old one off... :P

Looks like a lot of fun. :tu: :mrgreen:
    haha, thanks!

Nice classic car,your baby is looking really good.

Nice R30. The brake upgrade is a good idea. I dig the overfenders. I do not think the ones that are stateside have them.

The panda paint scheme is a nice break from the normal red/black.

It's gorgeous. Yet again more reason for me to go with a pre-iron mask r30.

I really dig those fenders and the panda scheme as well. The engine is definitely interesting, how's it run performance wise and... How's the mileage? I dunno why but lately I've actually enjoyed knowing the gas mileage on these, not that it affects my opinion just interesting to see the range people are getting.

Awesome HR30! I want to say more but Im kinda speechless right now.

sourcing interior parts nicely :tu: i dig the stripped thing, but i prefer to make things a little more civil for normal use lol. the 4 door back seat i got actually fits perfect on the bottom, but top will need some creativity to fit. looking for a 2 door top before i start chopping things up :? now hoping i score these dr30 lights! clean up continues..if we ever get a nice day i'll get more progress pix...now if i could just quit getting outbid on yahoo :td: :td: :td: