Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Honda N600 restoration

1971 Honda N600 restoration

Hello JNCers

Feel free to follow along as I restore my newly acquired N600. This will take place in LA county near Redondo Beach. This is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this and I have already learned a lot

Details on how I got it:

*the previous owner took everything out to paint it, the paint is pepper white from mini cooper

*the engine was put back in, but not wired, so that is currently my #1 priority

*the windows are not installed, I have the glass, but no gaskets/weather stripping yet

*the seats need to be reupholstered, and no carpeting or headliner

*The body is in great condition, some rust on the bumpers, but not the body

take a peep

Re: 1971 Honda N600 restoration

So the solenoid on the starter needs to be replaced, does anyone know who make a compatible solenoid?

found a solenoid at honda600carparts.com

I'm considering the carpet kit from there too. does anyone know how that price might compare to having a carpet custom made by a reupholstery shop?

once the solenoid gets here I still need to figure out my wiring issues. something must be crossed because the starter spins indefinitely when the battery is connected. With no input from the key in the ignition. I'm hoping to find someone who can put their running N600 side by side with mine so I can hopefully find where I made a poor connection. I also have a multimeter and a wiring diagram, so I am trying to figure it out that way too.

check your switch wires, sounds like they are crossed

I would recommend making a small harness for starting purposes only. Disconnect the stock harness completely. Both my harnesses had been so over heated, due to bad connections, that any power connectors were melted.
    I ran a gas line directly into a can of gas. Wired coil and fuel pump with a switch and used a remote push button. I also made sure all the timing marks were correct to be certain the timing chain was ok.

I thought I should add. You don't need a solenoid to operate the starter. It is just a relay to switch high amp circuit with a low amp circuit. Use a pair of pliers to jump the high amp wires together.

I took the solenoid off the starter and found that the lever only moves and pushes the gear out when it is all the way up, I took a picture of the lever. There is a hole near the bottom that seems to be for a pin, does anyone know if that is the case? It also seems that the lever needs to be pulled farther than the plunger in the solenoid will be able to in order to push the gear far enough out to meet the solenoid.

the previous owner told me he had the solenoid motor rebuilt by someone, who thinks the lever was installed wrong?

here's the picture of the lever

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/...arterlever.jpg

Also, the wiring problem - I overlooked the connection between positive battery and the main fuse that supplies power to pretty much everything haha

here's a picture of the headlights working now that I've properly powered everything

and I got some goodies in the mail, door cups and two badges/emblems for the trunk, both need a little touch up

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/...trunklogos.jpg

And I cleaned up the seats a little over the weekend, here's a little before and after on the rear seat:

Another update, I assembled the rear half of the interior. I will be using the same vinyl restorer for the bottom of the seat that I used on the back of the seat, so that will get cleaner