Thread: My MS41S Toyota Crown

My MS41S Toyota Crown

Hi,
    Here is some pictures of my latest project. This is a 1967 Toyota Crown MS41S. As you can see this is the sports model with sports instrumentation, 4 speed floor shift sports interior. Twin SU carburetors and Dunlop disk Brakes. I have replaced the original "M" engine with a 4M. I am just waiting on some seals that I have ordered to finish rebuilding the brake booster, then it's ready to hit the road. At the moment I'm leaving the paint work as it is. I will probably paint the car in its original colour when I have a bit more money to spare.
    Cheers
    John

Re: T

Wow, interior is so clean along with engine bay. Do you know any supplier in AUS that sell Weather strip for our classic cars? Such as 74 Corona Mark II?

Re: My MS41 Toyota Crown

The seats have been retrimed. I made new carpets and redid the wood grain effect on the dash and centre console Not really. I don't realy know of a good supplier of weather strips but I get some weather strips out of Thailand. Here is a link to a supplier on ebay that may be able to help you out.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-CORON ... 483ee9ec3e
    Cheers
    John

Well shoot, Id rock that paint for a while if its not rusting. Interior and engine look good.

She's damn fine :P Great looking Crown mate!

!!! Sports version!

Lucky man

You bought this car not to long ago hey?

Yea,
    Picked it up about 1 1/2 years ago and have only just got it up to the stage it is now.

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    wtf!!!! so cool car!!!!!

Re: My MS41S Toyota Crown

I have just removed the cylinder head for the "second" time. The car goes hard and is great fun to drive but I noticed that it is blowing some smoke on accelerating from an idle and was starting to foul up #3 & 4 spark plugs. This is typical of valve stem seals or valve stem clearances. I put new ACL valve stem seals in when I rebuilt the engine and the compression is fine. When I removed the head the first time it was evident the oil was making its way down through the valve stem guides as there was a black oily carbon deposit on the necks of #3 & 4 valves. I took the head back to the shop that I got to do the original work and the valve to guide clearances checked out fine. I reinstalled the head with a new set of ACL valve stem seals only this time I put a smear of ultra black silastic around the inside of the base of each inlet valve guide seal to try to ensure oil was not getting drawn up from the bottom of the seal. Once I refitted the head I took the car for a test drive only to find that the smoke situation was exactly the same. The after market ACL seals only have a light seal against the stems so my first thought was to try and buy genuine Toyota but they are no longer available. I have decided to purchase performance Manley Viton seals. They are not a hat design like the ones that were on my car but Toyota only changed to using hat type seals in the M engines around 1972. I guess they had some problems with the seals popping off the stems (the rim of the hat style is held under the inner valve spring so they can't come off). In early manuals when the old type seals were used you are instructed to ensure a gap is left between the bottom of the seal and the base washer because the seal would not work if a gap was not left. I guess this is because oil was drawn up the seal from the base and down the guide. I still am not sure if this is what is happening with the seals that I have tried. By using the Viton seals there will be a gap between the bottom of the seal and the base washer, and the seal against the stem will be much better. I get the seals tomorrow and will have to get about 3mm machined off the top of each valve guide to remove some of the narrower section at the top, so the new seals will be a good tight fit. When I originaly pulled this engine down to rebuild the combustion chambers and valve necks were all covered in carbon but I figured the rebuild would sort this all out. I'm thinking dodgey valve seals were a problem for this engine even before I got hold of it.
    Has anyone else struck this problem?