Thread: 2TC Exhaust Manifold vs. Headers

2TC Exhaust Manifold vs. Headers

I have written on this question in my build thread, but I want to make it a separate topic. I recently found a '78 TE51 SR5 at my local junkyard, and it is equipped with a 4-2 exhaust manifold. I will include a picture below, it can also be found via eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-79-80-TOYOTA ... 1b&vxp=mtr). Does anyone know anything about this manifold? How does it compare to a set of headers? I have not been able to find a good set of headers for my '74 TE27, hence my question. Is this manifold worth the effort?

I have read in this period article (http://www.sv3power.com/?page_id=301) that these actually out performed most headers back in the day. I am leaning towards picking them up, but my 2TC is also equipped with dual Webers, so I want to make sure I have as unrestrictive an exhaust system as I can get.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: 2TC Exhaust Manifold vs. Headers

They look like the stock header thats on my 2T-G. If thats the case then they are a good design, but if u want more flow u are better off getting a set of headers or making your own. Im in the process of calculating what size, length, width pipes i need, where to place the resonator, where the rear silencer should go and all that stuff. Im going for a 4-1 system just because its simpler and has no real advantage over the 4-2-1 system.

Re: 2TC Exhaust Manifold vs. Headers

Very interesting, it does appear to be the same as the stock 2TG manifold. I would have never caught that otherwise! (The 2TG was unfortunately never offered Stateside.)