Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '84 Starion ES Flatside resto-mod

'84 Starion ES Flatside resto-mod

The time has come to man up and do this thing. I have had this car for a few years now and I honestly cant see parting with it ever, time to make it new.

For those that don't know the car from previous threads....
    When I found it a fairly clean one owner car with less then 90k....

Then I spent a whole weekend cleaning it and came up with this.....

Drove it like this for quite some time, was very happy with it and thought I might just preserve the original finish despite the minor (or so I thought!!!) rust.

Well that was all well and good until this happened...

Was hit by an inattentive driver in a Nissan Altima (why are they the worlds worst drivers!!??!)

After tear down it was clear that frame damage was going to be an issue...

I think the problem was the bottom of the bumper bar was rotted out and the beam did not do much to slow down the impact. So at this point the car was parked on the hill and the search for parts began. Flatty fenders are tough to come by and it took a lot longer than it should have!!

Re: '84 Starion ES Flatside resto-mod

Found my flatty fenders with a little help from the Starion forums. Problem was, they were in Buffalo NY and I am about 8hours away just outside of Boston! After convincing family and friends that I wasn't crazy for planning a trip that far to pick up a fender I had an epiphany, why not make a vaca out of it! So I called my girlfriend and said "Hey, how about a trip to Niagra Falls, neither of us have been and I can pick up my parts while we are there!" Thankfully she is down for an adventure so we packed up a car took her eight year old daughter with us and went north.

Bonus niagara falls pics...

What an amazing site! Spent the better part of a whole day just staring at it, truly worth the trip if you are even considering!

Anyway, back to the car.

Step one....start the long dormant Starion. A little Mitsu love at work here, jumping it with the Sapporo...

Step two...clean off 18 months of dirt and out door grime....

Step three inspect damage.....

Apparently the years of sitting on grass at the previous owners house kept the car moist for WAY to long and the rockers and qtrs are rusting from the inside out.

Discouraged but not one to give up as the floors and framerails are good, I drove it to my work, All Star Collision in Salem Ma.

Loaded up on the frame machine, disassembled and being pulled..

Rust in side the front fenders on the apron. All Rot will be cut out, replaced and sealed before paint.

This is going to be a big project, I certainly have my work cut out for me, but in the end a full re spray new decals all rot removed and a few surprise parts thrown at it will make it all worth the while. I cant wait to show you the wheels that will be going on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiSS350
    I cant wait to show you the wheels that will be going on it!!
    Then don't. Show us. 8)

Wow, that is gorgeous. Real shame that Altima hit you... I have always loved the flat side Starion. Not many around anymore. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiSS350
    I cant wait to show you the wheels that will be going on it!!
    Then don't. Show us. 8)
    I will...as soon as I clean them up and get tires on them. Think ultra traditional Japanese wheel, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Reece
    Wow, that is gorgeous. Real shame that Altima hit you... I have always loved the flat side Starion. Not many around anymore. I'll be watching this thread for sure.
    Thanks, tons of updates to come for sure.

Project is in full swing now, since the rust started from the inside out, the first step is to remove the outside for access.

Outer skin removed....

Next level down...

Scary looking but its all for the greater good!

You can see in this next picture were the majority of the rust is, between the pinch weld and the floor. Looking down from the interior here.....

And up from the undercarrige here....

Other than that small spot on the frame rail, which of course will also be addressed the floor and underside are in amazing shape for a northeast car.

On the passengers side quarter panel a large area of surface has been peeking through the paint for a while. To save from any future surprises we decided to grind down the paint and see what was there...

Uh-oh is that bondo showing up?!

After a lot more grinding it seems the panel is in fairly good shape. Must have been hit at some point but the bondo was only a skim coat, decent repair was done but I HATE seeing holes drilled to pull a dent!!! Those will have to be welded up before we get to the final body work stage!

Covered in SEM rust-mort, this stuff is amazing! Literally turns rust back into shiny metal, I will have to do a before and after shot somewhere on the car. Amazing stuff!

Interior out, floors are in pretty good shape all things considered....

Carpets will get a good shampooing, or replacement if they don't clean up 100%

Thats where I am at right now, tomorrow afternoon the next step, metal replacement on the drivers side floor/pinch weld.

Very glad to see such care being lavished on a Starion. :tu: :mrgreen:

Like the night Niagra pic.

Buffalo, haha... guess you picked them up from crazy Justin??

-Robert

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Very glad to see such care being lavished on a Starion. :tu: :mrgreen:
    Thanks, the guys in the shop here don't really 'get it'. Its not a muscle car or exotic, but the older they get the less and less there will be. Plus on top of that I really love this car! (and old mitsu's in general!)

Quote Originally Posted by Komeuppance
    Like the night Niagra pic.

Buffalo, haha... guess you picked them up from crazy Justin??

-Robert
    Yup, Justin! Good guy, met him his family AND the llamas, haha!

nice flatty, my brother has a maroon one, i saw this one pop up on the internet the other day;