Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: More DR30 goodness (madness?)

More DR30 goodness (madness?)

guess I should make some form of introductory speech as well. Hi I'm Ed and I own too many cars :lol: no, seriously, I do...

currently I have five vehicles with a sixth on its way to New Zealand, and all follow a certain trend: they have to be from the 1980s, Japanese domestic market models only, and (with the exception of one) turbocharged. I'll get around to describing the rest of the collection in due course, but so far the jewels in the crown are my twin DR30 Skyline RS-Xs.

Apologies to those of you from other forums who have no doubt already heard all this :lol:

First up is my 1983.9 RS-X coupe. It's a genuine DR30 tekamen with the factory non intercooled early FJ20ET. Skyline aficionados will know this to have the lower compression ratio and large 0.63 A/R housing T3.

was privately imported and complied in 2005 by myself, with a shade over 119,000km on the clock. the vehicle is completely stock standard except for Tokico shortened shocks and Japanese "SASS" lowering springs. The new wheels are 15x6 (F) and 15x6.5 (R) SSR "Formula Mesh" with gold centres, which were sourced from Yahoo Japan. It originally came with standard DR30 rims as pictured in the 2nd and 3rd shots.

this car is an absolute dream on the open road: comfy, quiet, nice stereo, the A/C works perfectly, and it even has cruise! About the only complaint I have is the apparent lack of power below 4500rpm thanks to the characteristics of the FJ20ET. Had the car dynoed to see what the stocker output was like, and it managed 114kW at the rear treads running a paltry 5.5psi of boost. Lazy!

as of now I have no other plans to modify the coupe, because in October 2006 I imported another DR30, the real star of the show:

a 1983.12 RS-X sedan, nicknamed the "squid" for its distinctive silver colour. this one came with a few extra goodies included.

First up is the huge GReddy aftermarket intercooler and piping, stealthily tucked away behind the front bumper. It also came with an oldschool Trust adjustable pressure relief valve, an even more ancient HKS blow off valve, remote oil filter setup, Cusco adjustable front strut tops, Cusco rear LSD, and some distinctive Work Ewing III deep-dish rims (15x7.5 F, 15x8 R). The exhaust system is full HKS all the way through to the humungous rear cannon :shock:

The engine seems to have had larger injectors fitted, and some form of 'lumpy cams', but I haven't been able to figure out any specifications for the latter. oddly enough given the bolt-on mods, it's still running the OEM T3 turbo - I suspect a previous owner may have swapped it back on prior to selling...

Since the sedan's arrival in NZ I've fitted it with Tokico shocks and SASS springs (identical to the coupe), and installed my Blitz Dual-SBC spec R controller for a boost hike to 1.0 bar :twisted: Unfortunately it spent the most part of 2007 off the road due to an annoying optical ignition module failure, which was finally repaired and the car's proven trouble-free (and a boatload of fun to drive) since then.

I've also bought some 15" Watanabe rims for it, and plan to have these resprayed gunmetal with chrome lip prior to fitting... but I gotta admit, the deep-dish Ewings have grown on me.

Future plans? I recently bought a Garrett GT3071R turbo with 0.78 A/R split pulse housing, and am slowly gathering parts together for a "violent-tempered" FJ20 build with the sedan as a base. Have been offered a worked head capable of 700hp, as well as a block and enough spares to comfortably kick-start the project, so it might be a wise decision to say yes :lol:

however I have other things to get out of the way before starting on the DR30. Next year sounds like a good time as any!

Authentic Jap plates for the novelty touch:

Watanabes:

SSRs:

Very nice! As an ex DR30 owner myself it's great to see these old warriors being appreciated for what they are
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

jeezzeee us new zealanders are taking over. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by stagefumer11
    about time to

Administrator
    Awesome cars, man. Love the IRN MSK plate. :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyleppa
    Quote Originally Posted by stagefumer11
    about time to
    ..there goes the neighbourhood :lol:
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Some cool metal there

Aw man, you have good taste! Thats it, June should be R30 month on JNC.

after seeing the first shuto kousoku trial i feel in love with these skylines! i hope to someday own one of these if i ever live on the other side of the pacific.

cheers for the welcome folks.

Hopefully I will be able to do some serious stuff to the sedan next year. 500hp FJ20 shouldn't be too hard to build... right? :lol: