Thread: Lowering a '71 Crown

Lowering a '71 Crown

I was just wondering if i could get some ideas to help out with lowering my car. Im pretty new to these types of cars. The easiest way would be to take a torch and heat the springs to lower the car, but do some of the other toyotas springs interchange with a '71 crown to lower it?

Re: Lowering a '71 Crown

would cut them before i torch them....

your looking at full on custom fabrication for something so rare state side....

any pics?

If you page through King Springs (Australia)'s catalogues, they have some options, but getting them shipped here is pretty steep.

Mike

Easiest way is to measure your springs(I.D. O.D. and height) and find something that will fit. Hardest part is finding out the stock spring rate. Then go to some place like pitstopusa.com and find some new springs that work for your application. Most likely, you will be looking for something like a 225-275lb sping in you diameter you need. For the height measurement, you will want the spring uncompressed. Do not torch the springs, cutting is better, but not by much.

thanks for the info, i was looking around the site last night some and found that mid 60's chevelle springs would work. dont quote me on that though haha. I just picked it up last week so im just trying to get some ideas on how to do stuff on these cars. My last vehicle i built was a bit different (68 chevy piuckup) but they do have the same suspension set-up (basically) coil springs front and back.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... 1b4664.jpg
    http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... c16286.jpg
    http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... d16d15.jpg

Thats a very tidy looking crown you picked up. Can't wait to see that thing all polished up. That paint looks like it's gonna come out very nice.

Please do it properly! King Springs are ok but they only do the standard height, no lowered ones. As stated before, look for something similar in your DM

EDIT: I stand corrected on the King Springs. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-CR...item416643c0c8

Cheers

Bear

Oh yeah, forgot as well. You need to match the springs with shortened shocks/struts. I know that for most of my Toyotas, late model Camaro shocks worked in the rear. Anything from like 1982-2002 (3rd gen/4th gen) will work.

Awesome, Thanks for all the help. I cant wait to really get working on this car

Not sure if your 71 Crown is similar in regards to front suspension as my 75 Corona but i used some heavy duty Ford Courier truck front coil springs i got from Rock Auto (Moog suspension #CC250) delivered for $54. They worked perfect and i cut 2 coils. They are thicker than the factory spring so it rides nice. Gonna get some shocks now to match the shortened ride height. Good luck