Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Coilovers?

Adjustable Coilovers?

So here's the deal, I have a 72 Toyota Corona Deluxe Coupe and I'm wanting to lower the front end but I don't want to cut my springs. I would much rather find some adjustable coilovers or lowering springs to swap in. Now I haven't been able to find anything specifically made for my car or any Toyota that old so I'm wondering if anyone could give me some input on this subject.

Re: Adjustable Coilovers?

I would contact Gabe @ TechnoToyTuning and see if they have any Ground control sleeve kits that will work. If he comes up empty handed, contact Ground control with the diameter of your strut casing and the weight of your car(to figure spring rate) and they will hook you up with what you need

Im sure any fab. shop in your area can cut you some metal plates for spring perches so you can cut off your existing.

If there was a Corona out here I get the casings and do it for you

For a start, check out Pro Auto in eugene. The Corona (at least mine does) uses double A-arm front suspension and leaf spring rear, same as every domestic used for circle track racing since forever.
    Things might have to be machined to fit just right, but Im betting they could at least give you some ideas or point you in the right direction.

When I lived down there they were on the corner of Roosevelt and Seneca but google maps is showing them somewhere else.... cant be too many sprint car shops down there.

Not sure if the 72 Corona is the same as the 75 Corona, but I called TTT for an adjustable coilover for my car. He said he didn't have any. I'm planning on cutting some springs and adding better shocks.

Even if the ground control sleeves don't fit perfectly you can make them work. With my ground controls on my AW11 the sleeves didn't fit the front perfectly, so I welded a bead around the top of the strut to make the sleeve snug.

I made the same mistake Calus, he has the equivalant to Chevy truck suspension.
    You can measure your spring diameter, use google to figure your wanted spring rate and order from: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-coil-springs.html

Personally I would measure the diameter and hit the junkyard in search for a matching spring from a small truck, then cut to size. Being from a truck they will have a stiffer spring rate and give you that stability we all crave in the corners 8)

Phil~

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmturbo
    Personally I would measure the diameter and hit the junkyard in search for a matching spring from a small truck, then cut to size. Being from a truck they will have a stiffer spring rate and give you that stability we all crave in the corners 8)

Phil~
    I like this idea, I will probably do this to get my car lower faster then save up for some QA1's or something to that effect. Do you think some s10 springs would work?

Oh, it doesn't have regular mcphearson style struts then? Most of my experience is from working on my aw11.

This is what the front suspension looks like on my car:

Quote Originally Posted by The Names Yota, Toyota
    This is what the front suspension looks like on my car:

Ohhhh, wow. That... Yeah.