Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with an '86 Toyota MR2

New guy with an '86 Toyota MR2

So I'm Seth, I am 24, I have a degree from UTI, I am working as a tech at a Honda dealer and I am going to school for Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. Last season I raced my step father's Mazda RX-8 in autocross and ever since then I wanted to get a project car for racing. I've raced my Subaru WRX wagon a few times but the fact that it's my daily driver and is prone to having a glass transmission I didn't want to blow it up. My requirements for a project car was that it had to be light, naturally aspirated, rear wheel drive and have pop up headlights. Most would go with a Miata but I wanted something different. So through my searching I found this a 1986 Toyota MR2 on the good old Craigslist that I picked up for $650. It's actually in pretty good shape for being a 26 year old car but the catch is that it only runs on 3 cylinders. Cylinder 4 has no compression. So my plan is to swap in a 20 valve 4AGE and race it hopefully before the end of this season.

My build thread can be found here. http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk1-engine...-20v-swap.html

Now on to the pictures!

There's a little rust here and there but it's not a big deal. Just natural weight reduction.

The 16 valve 4AGE. Running on 3 cylinders. It'll get pulled and in its place a 20 valve silver top 4AGE will go.

Still has the factory badge on the hood.

I love flip up headlights.

The frunk. Pretty clean, still has its factory tool set, spare tire and all the correct plastic bits and they're not cracked.

The interior. No rips in the seats and no cracks in the dash. Has power windows, power mirrors and power door locks that all work and the sunroof works too!

Can't wait to take it autocrossing.

And as of 9-23-12 here's how the engine sits.

Re: New guy with an '86 Toyota MR2

Nice.

I have a real soft spot for those AW11s.

Do you have everything you need for the engine?

Yeah I have everything for the engine I'm just waiting on getting the fuel lines and the wiring harness. Then the fluids. It'll soon be running

Make sure to confirm that the harness matches the ECM.

Some older 20v 4AG ECMs and harnesses would plug in but not be happy.

(e.g. an AT harness would plug into a MT ECU, but the powers and grounds were all in the wrong places.)

Sick! Once you get her running you should get some Techno Toy velocity stacks for those ITBs

Just saw one this color in our local Pick-n-Pull, it was definitely too nice to be a parts car. If you need anything from it just say so-
    Cant wait to see yours finished with some good, fitted wheels :tu:
    Phil~

Hi,.
    Congrats on your new Aw11, well your new used MR2 and welcome to the board. If you have questions there are tons of answers on here. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Cash for Old Cars Brisbane

for a "hub boss" JDM lingo either go with a MOMO which everyone had in the 80~90's, Nardi (rare), or HKB which everyone starting in the early '00's have. Don't cheap out on the $16 wannabe HKB knock off on Ebay. Your steering your car and little cast dash marks cast in aluminum is what's keeping you in control of your car. Look online if A-spec is still in business they were/are the US importer of HKB Boss'. I went through them for one for my 91 Previa

nice score!!! 650$ :shock: -even if just 3 hitting

good luck

Here's a little update.

10-1-12 through 10-18-12

Got the new stainless fuel lines, fuel filter, oil filter, T3 velocity stacks and air filters installed. Hooked up the throttle cable but I may need to re-adjust it.

Also got my axles re-built through work.

Open velocity stacks and new fuel lines.

The stacks with filters.

Re-built axles.

As of 10-25-12

I'm just waiting for the weather to get nicer so I can put my wiring harness in that I had made by mr220v on MR2.com then I just need to get coolant, oil, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Hopefully it'll be running here soon.

Also if anyone knows where I can get a new/used throttle cable that would be awesome. I decided I'm going to replace the one I have.