Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australia, where owning a cool car is forbidden.

Australia, where owning a cool car is forbidden.

You see all kinds of crazy shit that gets street driven in the US, UK and everywhere else it seems. In Australia, not so much. Most forum members are from the US, so to shed a little light on why Aus cars are poo, I'll share a few of the laws in place.

1. After market BOV's are illegal.
    2. Cannot fit smaller than standard diameter rims.
    3. Lowest point of the car that is not suspension MUST be above 100mm/4"
    4. Carbon fibre/fibreglass, FRP panels, flares, doors, scoops are illegal.
    5. Lowering blocks are not allowed.
    6. Exhaust must not go further than the most rear part of the car (not including towbar's)
    7. Cannot remove any emmisions gear (which basically means you can't upgrade carby's)
    8. Wheels cannot stick out of the guards at all.
    9. You need a modification certificate from a Government approved engineer for any mod you do (motor swap, turbo conversion, bucket seats, approved roll cage, change of seating capacity and so on)
    10. HID's are illegal, nor any 'blue' light.
    11. A gear 'H' patter must be clearly displayed near the gear stick.
    12. All steering wheels, seats, roll cages, lights, hub adapters and so on need to be approved and tested by ADR (Australian Design Rules)
    13. Suspension travel cannot change beyond 10%
    14. Adjustable platform suspension (coilovers, camber plates, adj.arms) cannot be fitted unless a modification certificate is approved ($1000 usually, if you can find someone near by who is approved...)
    15. If you are on your provisional license (when you finish your 1yr's on your learners licence you gain your provisional licence for a minimum of 3yrs depending on each state) you are not allowed to drive any car with more than 6 cylinders, forced induction, a power level over 220kw/290hp or which has a modification certificate.

Plus there are 100000's of other little tiny rules and law's preventing people from modifying their car's to their full potential. But it doesn't stop most of us, we just find ways around the laws, that, or learn how to dodge police.

Unlike the US where the police don't rape car enthusiasts as much, the police here will finger every crevace of your butthole at the drop of a hat. They have quotas they need to reach of cars to defect, fines to give, as to keep revenue raising up.

The perfect example is one little famous Corolla that lives in Aus and HAD street rego. Everything was certified and legal, until the police raided a Huffy slider meet and blocked the roads so no one could leave and defect 50% of cars, even though no cars were doing skids/revving their motors. Thus defecting one of the best true JDM rides in Aus.

In Australia, it's impossible to modify your car in any way without getting hassled by the po po. Anyway, that's my rant out of the way.

Peace.

Re: Australia, where owning a cool car is forbidden.

Most of those laws are applicable here in the states as well.

I bet, in Austria laws regarding car-modifications are even stricter then your in Australia. :wink: Itīs not such a problem for me though, because I like my cars original.

Some of the stuff in your list is simply not true. For example lowering blocks are legal not illegal. Im not going to go through your entire list but refer to these guidelines. This document is the new NCOP (national code of practice) guidelines. I've had brake and turbo engine upgrades engineered in the past with little trouble. The engineer charged quite reasonable and wasn't overly expensive.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... 1%20v3.pdf

In particular to lowering blocks....

"Lowering blocks used with leaf spring suspensions must be steel, aluminium or metal of
    equivalent strength and must be positively located to the axle spigot hole and spring centre-bolt."

The old guideline booklet which I can't find right now referred to lowering blocks made out of timber were not acceptable. Just goes to show you what some people get up too !

I can't say I've had any trouble with authorities but I get your point, unfortunately the nuisance minority ruin it for everyone else. I've been to meets where exits have been blocked but there were a couple of people doing burnouts though, so I suppose it was justified in that case. Funnily enough it was in mums and dads daily driver and not the modified cars however thats not always the case.

This really comes down to all car lovers here being called "hoons". I'm not going to get onto my normal rant...... But blame the media for the police crack downs on cars, plain and simple. Trumped up stories sell better than reality

Quote Originally Posted by crown_mad
    This really comes down to all car lovers here being called "hoons". I'm not going to get onto my normal rant...... But blame the media for the police crack downs on cars, plain and simple. Trumped up stories sell better than reality
    What he said ^
    +2

Damn safety!!! Cool cars don't necessarily need any of those things anyway.

I'm not so sure abut the fibre glass panels/flares either. How many RX-808's or genuine RX-3's for that matter are getting around with fibreglass nose cones?

And what about all the RX-7's with fibreglass body kits?

Keith :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by qdseeker
    Most of those laws are applicable here in the states as well.
    ... Japan too. I guess you're just blessed with police & media of a certain Stasi type? Neko.

Agreed that you don't need to illegally modify your car to make it cool, or that Australians have it the worst, but it's getting harder and harder for enthusiasts to turn a wrench on their car without worrying about being booked or taken off the road. It's getting to a point in Aus that every single police officer is an expert on the legality of all mods, so many of my friends have been hit with major defects that were simply bullshit, one even got defected for having fender mirrors on his 70's Hilux, which had the factory fender mirrors attached.... And it's at the point where you just take what harsh and over the top penalties are given out, there is no justice.

+5 on media's assault on us "hoons"

P.s. if it came from factory with fibreglass kits/fenders it's A.O.K. Just like if your car came with no seatbelts fitted from factory you don't need to run them.