Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets see some of your custom exhausts

lets see some of your custom exhausts

I just recently completed a full stainless exhaust, I found a rare S&S header for the A20 in my 86 Accord hatch, I have the entire thing documented from the header all the way to the muffler, I'll just link it as to not waste bandwidth and have to resize 70 pictures

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74744

lets see some of your custom setups, I did all the fabricating on mine and was fortunate enough to have good friends do all the welding after I made the parts, I'll be glad to get this project done so I can hear what it sounds like

Re: lets see some of your custom exhausts

For now i made a stainless pipe from stock collector,and fitted a mini chinese twinloop at the back.
    All 54MM pipe

I cut a motorcycle header apart,to be remade as a EB custom header

what is the reason for the twin loop? is it the exhaust tone? I have the 2.0 in the Accord so it has a deeper tone then the smaller engines, I'll be glad to hear what mines sounds like

Its just a small muffler where the exhaust flow wil run thru 2 times.And makes it more silent

There are bigger twin loops ,spoon or chinese copies.Sound varies a lot

well I'm going to try and put up all my pics again on the setup, this is one project out of many so far. Bear with me as it may take a while to sort through all of them and have everything up, and captioned over again. UI have to get the old brain working and try to remember all of this.

Basically this started with being able to get a hold of one of the last S&S headers for the A20 out of the factory before they closed. At some point I had been in a hurry and had a cheap exhaust put on my a local muffler shop, as a temporarily fix,the fix needed a lot of fixing to fix the birdcrap welds and leaking pipes, more on that later, basically to start this, I just ripped everything off to the head.
    This boat anchor was the first thing to go.

this is what came in the kit, I don't have a converter, and I hate the ball and socket joints, so this is what the first modification involved.
    Before I go any further I want to thank the people who helped me on the welds, I did all the fabrication, but Bobby Brock,Melody Cooper, and David Maule did all my welding, thanks for the help!! Bobby is now in remission from "terminal' cancer, I guess they forgot to tell him that it was terminal.

the first thing to go were the useless air injection ports and egr ports on the header, A piece of cold roller steel welded up over them took care of that

I didn't want to use the ball and socket that came with it, but I needed a connection flange to be able to put the system together, the header came with a nice heavy flange, and I knew somewhere out there, I still had the matching converter flange, after a couple days of digging I found it. This would allow me to use a factory doughnut gasket.

this is the factory converter flange, you can see the wonderful welds the muffler shop did, they even threw in some mig wire for free. Obviously this needs to be fixed.

The main issue is the inner diameter of the flange is much smaller then the S&S pipes, the first thing I did was cut off everything that didn't look like flange, put the entire thing in the lathe and bore it out to a matching diameter, I'm not sure what they made this flange with,but it's some seriously hard stuff, I went through two carbide bits boring it out.

you can see the difference in pipe size

the header hanging on the engine, ignore some of the mess on the engine, I was still sorting out a lot of stuff.

clearance is a little tight, mainly because there are two motor mounts for either fuel injection or carburated, and they only sell the fuel injection mount now for both, I fixed this issue, but that's a later thread.

This is the main clearance issue I ran into, the collector hitting the cross member, I ended up grinding off the lip on the edge of the cross member, spot welding on a piece of tube hammered over the sharp edge, then welding in a reinforcement plate in the center

I seem to be missing the picture of the finished cross member, I'm going to take a break anyway,then I'll post it later

as promised here's the finished cross member

the next part was the piece from the header flange to the flex coupling, this doesn't look like it but was one of the hardest pieces in the entire system, it not only goes up,it changes angle.

great fab work!!