Thread: nissan 180sx blown turbo HELP

nissan 180sx blown turbo HELP

hey im new to this forum and i really need some help

not long ago i was driving and went abit to fast and my car turned off and black smoke came out from the back

when i towed it home i found that my inter cooler pipe was out so i put that back in and my car turns on now but the engine runs unevenly and when i rev it my boost gauge doesn't go past 0 so im not sure if that's a blown turbo or something else. please get back.

thanks

Re: nissan 180sx blown turbo HELP

Is there any shaft play on the turbo? You have an aftermarket boost gauge or just a factory one?

How are the spark plugs looking? What elese have you looked at for troubleshooting this? Any other potential boost leaks?

It's worth searching / asking on the UK SX owners' club forum, too:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/forumdisplay.ph ... al-Section

when asking for help, it's useful to provide as much information as possible about your situation too;
    - which engine (CA18 or SR20)?
    - any modified parts?
    - have you changed or adjusted anything on your car recently?
    - have you had any similar problems before?

Driving 'too fast' won't kill your engine BTW there must have been something else wrong to cause the engine to die suddenly.

When you start the engine, does it idle normally or is it uneven even at idle? I wouldn't expect a blown turbo to affect the idle.

I would double-check that the intercooler pipe/system is really air-tight, perhaps by dripping some soapy water on the joins and looking for bubbles. The intercooler pipework is under pressure, so needs to be securely joined to avoid a boost leak. Black smoke suggests over-fuelling which could be due to a boost leak.

I suggest asking on SXOC and providing as much description as possible of what it sounds/feels like when you start the engine up, at idle, revving it up and driving around.

Good luck!

thanks evey one for the help i have checked for leaks in the piping and found one i fixed that and its running evenly again i took it for a trashing and the boost seems to be going fine now, i think it was just the boost leak, thanks evey one for the help

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSleeper
    Is there any shaft play on the turbo? You have an aftermarket boost gauge or just a factory one?

How are the spark plugs looking? What elese have you looked at for troubleshooting this? Any other potential boost leaks?
    i looked at the spark plugs and they seem to be fine but im going to change them soonish thanks for the help

I blew an IC pipe off before, same situation basically but ran ok when re-attached.

If your looking for a little performance ditch the little T25 and fit a T28 turbo on there from S14 models. Easy 1kg/cm of boost and should net close to 270PS with a bit of fuel and timing adjustment.