Thread: new motor for my XT coupe

new motor for my XT coupe

Hi guys just wondering if any of you can help with suggestions regarding an engine upgrade for my car, it presently has a ej18 injected, I would like to perhaps get a ej20 twin turbo or ej22 and keep my present auto gear box (as it would be a real hassle getting all the interior bits to go manual)
    So the question is.. not being a mechanic.. how involved is it? will it simply just bolt in?? I'm hoping..

PS; just recently by chance come across a very tired Peugeot STi what a stroke of luck! (as ya know limited choice of wheels) paid just $200 (NZ) for the car so now have a cool set of alloys to fit my car, gonna get them powder coated and a new set of rubber on will post some pics when done

bye for now

I would have to say look for a ej22 car that is an automatic so that you can take the whole setup and bolt it in. The only thing I would say would be a hassle would be the wiring but if it is done right it will work wonderfully.

EJ will not bolt up directly to a EA box, you will need a adapter plate.
    With more work and money, you can use a EJ box.

Re: new motor for my XT coupe

Quote Originally Posted by silvermachine
    Hi guys just wondering if any of you can help with suggestions regarding an engine upgrade for my car, it presently has a ej18 injected, I would like to perhaps get a ej20 twin turbo or ej22 and keep my present auto gear box (as it would be a real hassle getting all the interior bits to go manual)
    So the question is.. not being a mechanic.. how involved is it? will it simply just bolt in?? I'm hoping..

PS; just recently by chance come across a very tired Peugeot STi what a stroke of luck! (as ya know limited choice of wheels) paid just $200 (NZ) for the car so now have a cool set of alloys to fit my car, gonna get them powder coated and a new set of rubber on will post some pics when done

bye for now

Where in NZ are you dude?

Thanks for the advice folks, I also put in the wrong engine code with the first post it is in fact an EA82 (not EJ18) well will probably look for a complete unit with gear box if its feasible, and in reply to 'oldschool subaru' I live near Timaru, cheers

yes a whole drivetrain is preferable, also get the rear diff too so that there is no conflicts with the rear diff and the new tranny