Thread: 4M Emissions Delete and Carb Options

4M Emissions Delete and Carb Options

I have a 4M in my 73 Corona MarkII and it runs well with the stock carb. I would like to clean things up a bit and simplify the engine bay. I have found a little info on JNC on removing the emissions vacuum tubes and the "evap. emissions control device" box. What can be disconnected entirely and what needs to be capped/rerouted etc? I have heard that the dist. advance and brake booster is all that needs to remain. I don't need to pass any emissions standards anymore. My plan was to remove one at a time to make sure that it did not effect the car but any other info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, just curious, what carb settups have been done successfully to a 4M? I have a Weber that I may put in at one point but has anyone heard of adapting side drafts maybe? The engine has plenty of life left in it so I don't have a swap planned for the near future.

Re: 4M Emissions Delete and Carb Options

I have a 1979 4M emissions manual for U.S. and Canada that's yours for the price of postage if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by palatine
    I have a 1979 4M emissions manual for U.S. and Canada that's yours for the price of postage if you want it.
    That won't be the same emissions system, there are a few different pieces. However, I might be able to use it for my Cressida. PM sent

^^ I was a little worried about that too. Lots of things changed in those 6 years. Hope you can use it. Thanks!

Yeah, just for an example, my system doesn't even have that box. I'm even somewhat worried that the 790 book won't be exactly right for my 78 since I believe all 79s were fuel injected and I'm running a carb

I'm assuming you saw what jzcelica did to mine in his old thread, right? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13570

Yep, I referenced that. Thought about asking him directly too. I know he removed it but just wanted to make sure there weren't complications since I will be keeping the stock carb for at least a little bit.

I think you should be fine so long as you, of course, plug the vacuum ports. I'm pretty sure he threw a weber on at the same time as his de-smog work.

Quote Originally Posted by stefman454
    Yeah, just for an example, my system doesn't even have that box. I'm even somewhat worried that the 790 book won't be exactly right for my 78 since I believe all 79s were fuel injected and I'm running a carb
    True, that. Well, it's still yours if you like, and toydatto: I've also got a '76 all models emissions manual that's the same offer to you if you like. A few years closer anyway. I've got to thin down my parts boxes and I'd rather these get to someone who needs them on JNC. PM if interested.