Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coil springs for 1977 Toyota Corona Wagon RT119

Coil springs for 1977 Toyota Corona Wagon RT119

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1977 Toyota Corona Station Wagon. 2.2L 20R with W50 manual transmission. I purchased this car from impound for an extremely low price. Only issue, the vehicle needs higher front springs. The car is currently unable to drive, as the tires constantly rub on the fenders. Rolling the fenders in my instance would not help much as bumps would hit severely. I have seen other say that springs from a Mazda/Ford Courier (1978-1985) will pop right in and will be thicker. I'm looking for about a 2" - 3" rise in the front.

all the photos for the vehicle are in this gallery. (board attachment quota has been reached apparently)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/casanovaxrodeo/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/casanovaxrodeo/

Re: Coil springs for 1977 Toyota Corona Wagon RT119

Welcome to the board. Looks like a pretty good project. What are you plans?

at the moment, all I'm trying to do is be able to take it around town, maybe to school. this is the kind of car that makes me love Toyota's again. i used to have a 92 corolla, it was FF layout with a 1.6l. 5 speed on 200,000 miles. sold it because my mom gave me a 06 suzuki aerie sedan 5 speed. i have very little time to work on my new car though since i have two jobs and work 6 days per week (thursday morning off). So really, I'm just trying to casually make it better. im trying really hard to get the springs.

This is a very sick Corona man, I love everything about it. If it were me I would slam the shit outta the rear end to match it to the front end but thats just my $.02. So what are those clamps you have holding your front springs? Is that some sort of lowering technique?

That thing is so cool. I love it, especially the wheels. I think the things on the springs are spacers and if he took them out if would go lower still. A new set of springs set to the right height would make it much better to drive, even with a moderate drop.

The springs look very similar to the ones on my 73 which have the same diameter as an early Hilux pickup. Measure them and search in a junkyard and I don't think it will take you too long to find. You can always cut them to your liking.

Welcome to the forum. I'm still putting my 75 Corona together but I did purchase some springs for a Ford Courier from Rock Auto and paid $50+ dollars delivered (Moog Suspension part # CC250). Not sure if they fit but will know in the next few weeks.

Why don't you try going with a tire/wheel combo that fits better for the ride height?

alright, since you guys noticed the clamps, i'd just like to say that the clamps in there were to separate the springs. that was my attempt to help the issue. unfortunately, i could not get the spring spacers to work properly due to how close the coils were.
    my only option is to follow the route of the ford courier springs. for the next three weeks, i will be able to take my car to school and work on it. i am in DESPERATE need to get this car running within that time frame. I need any info on what hilux and ford courier springs work.
    i found from other users that these front springs may work

Ford Courier 4th Generation (1978 - 1985)
    Toyota Hilux RN20/RN30 (1972 - 1978)

im willing to dish out $150 for springs this week and am really really looking forward to getting them on and finally driving this car.

ANY information about springs can help me at this point.

and Presamax, i purchased the vehicle as is. Those photos are exactly how it got to my house. i've already stripped a lug stud by removing a lug nut. I don't know if i want to go any smaller in wheel sizes, theyre 14's as it is.

my height at the moment, add an inch in height for the gutter that tapers downward. lets put it this way, my car is low enough to hit a pack of cigarettes standing up.

The car looks really cool but I agree its tough to be functional at that height. Stock rims (even 14s) with taller tires would be easier to turn and give you some height because they wouldn't be so wide with such a low offset. There's got to be someone around that has some stock 4 lug you could borrow even to get you functional while you work out the springs.

i thought about putting some donuts on toydatto, but i dont think the lug pattern is correct for anyone i knew with spare donuts.

BUT!, i did get some specifications today from King Springs in Australia. they are as follows.
    "OD of 116mm (ID of 86mm) and 325mm in length.
    Lowered spring (310mm long)"

this thursday i will be heading to the DMV for registration.
    friday i will be taking my car to a friends house and attempting to pull a spring out and measure it to see if the specs match.
    sunday i will be heading to the junkyard for parts on other toyotas that may match up. doubt most will, but i can try.

i need definitive answers that the Ford Courier 4th Generation (1978 - 1985) coil springs will work before i attempt to purchase some.

interior

sitting at tow yard