Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitsubishi KM132 Close Ratio Gearsets

Hi All,

I have posted this on CC but thought this may be of interest to people here?
    A bit of info but worth the read.

Close Ratio Gearsets. For the Narrow Pattern KM132 Mitsu box (narrow shaft).
    These will suit anyone running a Lancer/Galant (Colt) with competition in mind or simply want to maximise the performance of their little Saturn engines.

6 X New Gears in total, including a re-worked Layshaft
    3 X Syncro gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd (4th, 5th remain 'stock')
    3 X Layshaft gears to match first 3 ratios
    A donor layshaft is required - old gears are removed and 3 x new gears fitted.
    These ratio's are even closer than the fabled MR GTO box.

Ratio's:
    (KMH are with a 4.6 diff and 195/65/14 tyres)

2.554 (63.17 kmh)
    1.784 (90.45 kmh)
    1.304 (123.78 kmh)
    1.000 (161.36 kmh) Standard 4th
    .856 (188.57 kmh) Standard 5th

KMH with a 3.9 diff

These are not available to the public as 'one-off' orders.
    A 1/3rd deposit is required, along with your donor layshaft.
    Lead time is 8-10 weeks (this is a very well known, busy, competition gearbox company and this is not considered a big order...)

Price is $2,250.00 US plus postage.
    HOWEVER, if we have more than 10+ sets ordered, this will drop to
    $1912.00

This may sound like a lot but after approaching a number of reputable gear manufacturers, the initial set-up is where the real expense is.
    You MAY get these replicated in the US cheaper but it wouldn't be by much........
    A considerable amount of time has gone into this and they are a proven product from a respected company.

For those still unsure and think this is expensive, compare it to the cost of a gearbox conversion, say an RX7/8, Supra etc - by the time you sort the bellhousing/clutch/master cylinder/driveshaft/etc etc. it will be around the same money (if done properly).After all that money, it will be MUCH heavier and you still won't have a TRUE close ratio box.

Note: This is ideally mated to a strong 4G32 or a mild 4G52/4
    If you're thinking to run this set-up with a full-house 4G54 then you're probably pushing the limits of these gearboxes.

Lastly, I am not doing this for profit.
    I have only added a very small amount simply to cover discrepancies in US exchange rates and to ensure I'm not adversely 'out of pocket'.
    So far, we have 5 sets on order and just thought it may be of interest to some on here.
    We are finalising the order within the next two weeks

Cheers,
    Steve

Slightly surprised there weren't at least one or two enquiries - particularly given the growing interest in Classic Rally Cars.....not to mention their increasing value.
    I guess it's such a miniscule market though, even in the US.

For reference, with the current exchange rate, they worked out to under $2k US
    5 sets in total were ordered and will be arriving at their happy new homes in mid August.

Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

Unfortunately these forums have slowed way way down as Facebook groups have grown. I can think of 3 rally colts relatively near where i live, one is a Lancer but its tucked away in storage on the back burner for that owner, the other two galants i haven't heard much about their status.
      91 Galant VR4 1350/2000
      76 Colt Galant Coupe
      75 Colt Galant Wagon
      77 Colt Galant Wagon

Comment

Yes, I've been absent myself for some time - you're right, the FB forum tends to be easier for most.......

Comment

Man, I'd love to get one of those for my Colt. I've got a dual Mikuni 4G52 hooked up to a tired 5 speed now.

Comment

Sadly we got the last sets - the manufacturer (Holinger Engineering) will not be making them any more.
            Too little demand and they literally only barely covered the cost of making them....

Comment

Working...
            X