From Uruguay this is my TE27

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Uruguay this is my TE27

Hi, as I stated in my presentation I'm the proud owner of an 1973 Toyota Corolla, also known as TE27. As a bit of history, the Toyota dealer for Uruguay is AYAX and it didn't import any Toyota until the 1980's so anything before that is very strange, so when I came across a sale post that reads "Toyota Corolla 1973" I had to have it, so I went to see the car, this are the first pictures I took...

the previous owner fidieling with the engine

interior shot

After working for a while under the rain we made the engine idle and sort of run as it should, quite a feat considering that the car haven't been started for almost 5 years, after it heat up a little and it was not dying, we took it for a "test drive"

given it very sorry state the car run great, much better than what one would thing after those pictures, and with that the deal was made

After almost a month of back and forth with the notary, all the paperwork came clear (very important and tedious step in my country) the car was legally mine, and so the journey begins.

As you can see the car is very very very (did I mentioned very) rusted, but is the only one that I know of in my country so I will try to do my best to restore it to it's former glory. I have many pictures to update this thread so I will try to do my best.

nice car ! old japanese cars are really hard to find down here isnt it? (im from Brazil).
    here are just Old Auto Show cars or the ones who came thru the japanese Embassy.

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rrrroyale View Post
      nice car ! old japanese cars are really hard to find down here isnt it? (im from Brazil).
      here are just Old Auto Show cars or the ones who came thru the japanese Embassy.

good luck!
      This one is the only one that I know of in my country, I tracked a little of the history of this car and apparently it came imported from Miami in 93' and in 94' que PO bought it on a Customs Auction because nobody had claimed the car. But we have a lot of KE70's, KP61, TA40 (Celicas and Carinas)

Any way continuing with this story, after the car was legally mine I went there to pick it up with my other Corolla, and tow it to a friends house that's a mechanic in order to do a little tune up and get the car ready for a 100kmts trip to my parents house.

I'm the bald guy over there

after we enter the garage

hood off and you can't really call that a windshield

pay atention to my friends foot coming through the floor

checking the front brakes, and doing a fast oil change

now trying to get the engine to idle correctly (sorry for the blurry photo)

since I couldnt get the engine to work properly I took off the carb, and got it ready for a rebuild. Also find out that the distributor vacum wasn't working as it should so I needed a new one, and there were a lot of parts very very worn

and that a story for another day

Comment

Very cool!!
        [Another Day, Another Beer]

Comment

Some footage, sorry guys that everything we speak is in spanish (more so, in uruguayo). But you'll get the feeling. The car wasn't running as it should, but at least it run. It was boggin' and cuting, and wasnt idleing as it should.

After the ofending carb was removed and inspected, I decided that it will be a great time to do a quick rebuild. Also this carb, isn't original to this car, it was adapted sometime in the life of this car

I took the carb home, and what you do? Of course that you rebuild the carb in the kitchen of your house

after that the car was rebuilt, I started to get everything together. I bought new studs and gaskets for mounting the carb

and after a while, It was done!

do you think it worked? you bet! (that's a faint mark from some tire spin)

After the carb rebuild and a new vaccum diafragm was installed the car was running much much much better and we where able to do another bit of testing.

Comment

Well, after the "testing" stage was done, and the car didn't fall apart during the shake down, It was time for me to start the voyage to my parents house 60miles away.

The day started early, checking everything from the night before

first stop, was take one of the wheels that was leaking to the tire shop to get it fixed.

another quick fix in place for the fuel cap, I had to break the actual fuel cap since I didn't had the key to open it, and after I broke it, I had to made a plug with the first thing that I had in hand.

and we where ready to got!... well not quite, the car didn't wanted to start, so a quick jump and it was runing

the hood was locked in place

my view from my command center for the next hours

and off we go!

my look from another car, given that I didn't have any windshield I had to wear a lot of clothes due to the cold

first stop, fill the tank (you can also see my friends lovely Civic EF)

my friend in the civic was the backup/chase car (and the one in which we will return home)

the car was working quite flawlessly through the trip, and we made a stop half way, to check the tires and everything else, all was good and while I checked the tire pressure found out that two of them had 51psi and another had 53psi! I lowered them to something more reasonable, and returned to the road... just to stop a few meters after with a non runing engine

the issue turned out to be (again) the filter on the carburetor that got clogged and starved the carb. So I dismanteled the carb, cleaned the internal filter, and we continue with the trip

just eating miles

the second part of the trip was, without any other issue and we arrived to my parents house, where we parked the car and started to take it apart.

and another video with all the trip, enjoy

see you next update.

Comment

Hi again, does anybody knows if an steering hub for the AE86 works on the TE27? I've seen sale posts that says that it does, and others that says the oposite. Maybe somebody over here knows the answer.

Comment

the knuckle? where the tire and brake mounts? yes that is an upgrade most people do... thats a lot of rust you got there. lot of work ahead

Comment

Originally posted by njccmd2002 View Post
                  the knuckle? where the tire and brake mounts? yes that is an upgrade most people do... thats a lot of rust you got there. lot of work ahead
                  hi, njccmd2002, I'm talking about where you mount the steering wheel to the steering column, I want to know if the spline count on both cars is the same. Because I find a lot of steering wheel hubs for the AE86 but none for the TE27, and some of those AE86 ones, state that are compatible with the TE27. I hope that my english is good and I'm explaining myself correctly

And yes... I have a lot of rust and work ahead, but I'll try to tackle it little by little

Comment

Well after I took the car to my parents house, the dismanteling begun

slowly but surely parts were piling up

those ugly US bumpers

trying to keep everything labeled and taged

all the glasses and every interior trim, was labeled and taged, also trying to zip tie the bolt to the actual part

After all the bolted parts where removed, I took grabed the vacuum cleaner and vacuumed everything on it

I had to take the angle grinder to some bolts, that werent so easy to remove

So that is for now, I will try to post sooner next time
                    Last edited by trufauru; 04-15-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X