No announcement yet.

78 Corona wagon wannabe daily rust bucket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool wagon. Cars like these seem to make fun daily drivers. Keep up the good work.
    1974 TE27 White #1
    1974 TE27 White #2
    1975 TE38 Brown

Comment

Thanks skellington. I love the looks and reactions I get driving this thing around.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a valve. I found quite a few dealerships that said they had it, but when I tried to buy it they were like "Sorry, that part is so old our inventory didn't recognize that we didn't have it." So I just replaced it with a straight piece. But I have been driving it and no issues so far. I've got constant 2.5 psi at the carb, and it's running a lot better since I pulled the distributor apart and cleaned it.

Few new issues though. Under normal driving conditions it heats up and stays at operating temp just fine. But if it gets cold while I'm driving (50 or less) I have to keep the RPMs up more than I want to to keep it warm. So it's probably time to change the thermostat. It was dropping all the way to the bottom of the gauge, but I bled the system twice and got a bit of air out and now it stays up at about 1/4 when it's cold. Also was messing around and checked my tie-rods and all the steering and found my right inner tie-rod needs replaced. It's not crazy loose but it's not great either. Issues aside it's driving pretty well.

I decided my headlights weren't really bright enough for me. I had some giant fog lights laying around that I intended on throwing on my Jeep, but that project is a bit away, so why not throw them on the Rona? That's what most of this car is, "why not?" Here's some pics from an abandoned service station so this thread isn't me talking into the wind.

Last edited by coheed; 11-15-2016, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Not too much to update on but the Rona got some new shoes for 2017.

Comment

Just keep driving this thing around.

Comment

Small update. I ordered most everything to redo the steering, sway bar links, front and rear shocks, blocks for the rear, u-bolts, u-joints, and a transmission output seal. I also got a pair of Mighty Max springs from a junkyard a few weeks back.

Spent about 4 hours today just pulling everything apart. Everything was so rusty it took a ridiculous amount of hammer blows to get everything loose. And then when I went to put the steering back together I realized that the tie-rod adjusting sleeves differ from side to side and I ordered two of the same. I also thought that my pitman arm was okay, but it had a good bit of play in it. So I had to order another adjusting sleeve and a new pitman arm, which means I have to wait to put everything back together. Since I realized i couldn't get my steering back together I decided to put the new springs and shocks in. To my surprise the Mighty Max springs only lowered the front by about an inch. I was looking for about 2-3 inches, so I'll probably cut half a coil off til I get it where I want it. I also found that my stock spring had snapped at some point. I don't think I've ever seen a broken spring on anything that hasn't towed a ridiculous amount of weight behind it. Also my front shocks where completely blown. If I compressed them they didn't even start to expand, even hours later.

Hopefully I can get everything back together next weekend, but I know how projects go.

Comment

That thing is going to look so sweet once you get it lowered!
              [Another Day, Another Beer]

Comment

Well the car is back on the ground with Mighty Max springs with 3/4 of a coil cut off and 2 1/5" blocks in the rear.

But I need to put the steering back together. And as always with this car, the rust has prevailed. When I cut the old U-bolts off I guess it broke loose the rust on the axle. The rust had gone all the way through the axle housing right above the spring perch on the left side. Not really sure how I'm gonna fix it. I would try to just weld it up, but it's so caked in rust I'm worried about burning through it. And the perches are so thin on the edges I'd want to replace them at the same time. But do I want to put that much time into an already super rusty car? If I could find a leaf sprung T series out of a Corona I'd just slap it in, but after talking to about a dozen different people and posting on multiple groups I have no leads. So at the moment I'll slap the steering together and it'll just have to sit still for a bit.

Comment

Not to much to update. I bought a 7.5" rear end out of a 83 pickup a few weeks ago to replace the rear axle. From my eyeballs and a measuring tape I won't have to modify the spring perches to bolt it up and the brake tee is in pretty much the same spot. But I'll need a 1 piece driveshaft made. I could probably make the 2 piece work but the carrier bearing is super out of round and I think that's were my vibration above 50 was coming from. So might as well knock it all out at the same time. The only thing is being in the middle of college again and my house needing repairs I don't know when I'll get this stuff done. I put some Sta-bil in the tank and crank it up and let it run up to operating temp about every 2 weeks, so the motor is still healthy, just have to find some extra funds.
                  Last edited by coheed; 06-01-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Great job with your wagon, I just bought an 80 Corona Wagon with a 20R in it and runs great, didn't know how difficult it was to find body parts tho.

Comment

Originally posted by LACollazo View Post
                        Great job with your wagon, I just bought an 80 Corona Wagon with a 20R in it and runs great, didn't know how difficult it was to find body parts tho.
                        Yea. There's a guy here in NC that has a 79 four door that he's parting out. I can get you his number if you want it.

So I swapped the T series axle in today. The guide pins were just slightly off, maybe 3-4mm, so not a huge issue. Now if I just get the money I'll have a driveshaft made, alignment, and maybe a new exhaust. Also the wheels I had to throw on are way to aggressive with the new axle. I didn't think about the axle being about an inch and three quarters wider.

Comment

Working...
                        X