Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 Wagon is my Birthday Present this year.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 Wagon is my Birthday Present this year.

Hey folks. Long time, no post. I'm the car designer who hunted down and pulled his family's former Tercel from a ditch in Idaho (More on that here http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ryan-thompson/

It looks like I have a new member of this asymmetric, plaid-seated, box-board-surfaced family. Picked up an '84 blue plate, brochure car with all the options today. It arrives soon, and I'll post more about it as I learn what I have, but here are some pics to kick off the adventure:
    Attached Files

He arrived tonight, at 11:59pm. One minute to spare, on Back to the Future Day. October 21, 2015.

So far, we have a car that looks real nice. Tired and very dirty. But started right up, and idles happily.

Tomorrow, he will get a thorough mechanical diagnostic, and super intense cleaning.

More to come.
    Attached Files

Comment

Progress: New drivetrain, bumpers, tires and a lot of deep cleaning all around. The car could definitely use some body work and paint, but it's a solid little car now, and starting to be something special again.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bryansthompson; 11-08-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

He's come a long way, in a short amount of time.
        Attached Files

Comment

More to come.
          Attached Files

Comment

I can't see any of the attached thumbnails. Want to see the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by rustypanda View Post
              I can't see any of the attached thumbnails. Want to see the progress.
              Thank you for being interested. I totally understand! This forum, while a great resource, has a very odd and ineffective way of handling photo attachments. Come on over the the Tercel 4WD forum for more visually inclusive updates:

http://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11672

I'll continue to update here as well, from time to time.

Comment

Nice wagon, What are you thinking about doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by GBL View Post
                  Nice wagon, What are you thinking about doing it?
                  Not quite sure just yet. Right now I'm enjoying the "rescue, revive and restore" phase. I may keep it
                  as a little runabout pack mule, or find it a good home, when finished.

Comment

Small update today:

Big box with some NOS OEM headlamps arrived today from Japan. Very cool to see them so perfect.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is a small find, but something I'm thrilled about.

Being a designer myself, I tend to be a purest when it comes to period-correct aesthetics. I've been looking for the correct radio / cassette player that was offered in my family's '83 Tercel for a while, and today I located one. All black and shiny and hard edged, like a Battle Star Galactica space ship control panel.

So here it is, in all its glory:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Love these model of Tercels. I grew up in a sr5 4wd manual. Amazing cars.
                        1974 TE27 White #1
                        1974 TE27 White #2
                        1975 TE38 Brown

Comment

Wow, a lot of progress in a short period of time! Great work

Comment

My highschool friend's family had a blue one just like that. They were not uncommon in Colorado, probably still a bunch of them left even today. Second gen tercels are about as 80s as styling gets.

Comment

Gotta love this connected world we live in.

I received a call from a fella back east who's been searching for a blue on blue #Tercel4WD for some time, and, after lots of nerdy conversation about the genius of these cars, he made an offer I couldn't refuse.

The exciting part, (well, okay, for me anyways) is it means I can finally start the restoration of the car I've had in storage for over a decade, my family's 1983 Tercel that I tracked down and retrieved, abandoned in a ditch in Idaho. This is the car that, sitting on the showroom floor in a Scottsdale Arizona Toyota dealer, in all its light-filled, plaid-textiled, space-shuttle styled glory, blew my little kid mind, and inspired me to become a car designer myself.

So bye bye Herschel the Tercel, and wake up, little Silver Car (he needs a name).

Here's to dreams...and the boxes they come in!

More on the #Toyota Tercel rescue escapade here: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ryan-thompson/

Comment

Working...
                              X