Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A mythical Toyota AA or "just" Chrysler Airflow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mythical Toyota AA or "just" Chrysler Airflow?

A guy from Russia claims he bought a genuine Toyota AA (or what has remained of it).

Pls follow the link below to see pictures he presented to prove himself
    http://forums.drom.ru/1079576831-post250.html

To me it looks much like Airflow, but the lucky brand-new owner claims it is a REAL AA (just to remind you: even Toyota Museum doesn't have a real AA specimen, they had to make a replicar for their exhibition).

What're your bets on this case?[/b]

i bet it's an airflow
    here's toyota's aa:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dfq7La9rg

Comment

Said car:

Airflow.. split screen.. did it came with single screen?

http://olskoolparts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks more like the AA based on the first picture.

Comment

...but the grill looks like Chrysler.
          the lines of hood of the Russian car wraps around like a half-circle while the AA hood has a bump in the middle for the front fascia/grill.
          I forgot to circle the location of the windshield wipers.
          It really looks like an AA body, but with parts from other cars (like Chrysler) that was fitted on.

Comment

sure looks like the toyota AA

as often done in russia to keep things on the road, this car has under gone some major changes.
            split windscreen
            hood and grill
            and many other things. probably has a russian motor as well.
            toyota rs60L 1972
            mitsubishi lancer ex-box 1980
            toyota ae86 rally car 1984
            mitsubish pajero 1987 long

Comment

true, the car is reported having been heavily rebuilt using so many alien details. It was also converted to LHD

Finally, it even has BMW documents!

but the fact is, AFAIK none of the AA survived until today.

the owner posted more pictures today:
              http://forums.drom.ru/1079692953-post289.html

could it be the only real AA, even with so many changes?

Comment

i think this car could be of some value if sold right away to some toyota collector either to be restored as possible or as the remains of the last original AA
                toyota rs60L 1972
                mitsubishi lancer ex-box 1980
                toyota ae86 rally car 1984
                mitsubish pajero 1987 long

Comment

Originally posted by SharmCos
                  Airflow.. split screen.. did it came with single screen?
                  google search turned up no airflows without split rear windscreens ... the plot thickens 8)
                  www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dfq7La9rg

Comment

Originally posted by blackhole
                    i think this car could be of some value if sold right away to some toyota collector either to be restored as possible or as the remains of the last original AA
                    If it was me I'd sell to Toyota Japan. They would pay millions for it huh?

I'll start looking for an AA in my country lol
                    http://olskoolparts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Send the pics via Email to Toyota, I bet they will pay a lot of money for this car! This HAS to be in the Museum, doenst matter if restored or not.

Comment

I carefully studied the pictures and comparing them to both the Toyota AA and the Chrysler Airflow. I think this car very well might be a Toyota AA. I know modifing them is common practice in Russia to fix them or keep them on the road. The most compelling evidence are the three accent pieces on the sides of the front fenders. They seem to be identical to the AA's. Also, the hood on the car in question wraps over to the top of the fender. The Airflow hood stops well short of meeting the fender. To get this effect from a Airflow would take restructering the whole front end, and I think a simple modify or repair wouldn't go so far.

I am really excited, this might be the true lone survivor.
                        Jeff "Kingtoy" Brown
                        King of Toyotas
                        Sophisticated Toys - Toyota club

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
                        Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Comment

I sincerely doubt it might be a Toyota, although there is a very small possibility (maybe a greater chance for it to be the Model AC). Just Google Chrysler Airlow or Desoto Airflow and you will see a whole bunch of countless possibilities - from what I've seen there are endless variations. This car seems to have bits and pieces that are common to many of those cars.

See: How to identify an Airflow

How about asking the Airflow guys what they think? - Airflow Club

I say the verdict is out until more photos and or measurements can be taken.
                          Michael - Collector of Toyotamobilia ~ www.toyotageek.com
                          Tomica Fan Club ~ www.tomicafanclub.com

Comment

wow
                            i hope its real

Comment

American cars in Russia, especially in the earlier days, were almost not possible, so I doubt itīs a Chrysler or some other US-car.

Russia has a long tradition in importing used cars from Japan, so itīs more than possible this car got imported from Japan many years ago. The possibiliy of being a Toyota AA is very high!

Comment

Working...
                              X