Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping shock absorbers (compressed gas) by AIR ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping shock absorbers (compressed gas) by AIR ??

Hi all

Both Japan EMS and the USPS don't allow items like batteries / perfume / or in our case automotive shock absorbers (because of the compressed gas inside) to be sent between Japan and the US.

I remember a long time ago (pre Sept11) being able to bring all sorts of things through airport security in either carry-on or checked luggage.
    Now you can't bring suspension in either carry on or checked - if the baggage handlers discover a shock absorber in your checked luggage prior to loading your suitcase on the airplane, they can legally remove it and your airline is not liable - this means your are a$$'ed out...

I called FedEx and UPS customer service on the 1-800 numbers, but I invariably end up at an Indian call center where the person on the other end of the phone doesn't know how to deviate from the standard script they read from every day.

I went to a local UPS Store here in town and they said they THOUGHT I'd have to go to a UPS hub/distribution center and ship it from there because they have the proper labels to identify the contents. They said they couldn't help me because they don't have the right labels.

I am going to try to go to a FedEx ship center (NOT a KINKO'S) and ask them the same thing tonight.

I even asked a couple friends who import cars, but their RollOn/RollOff contracts don't let them stash parts in the cars that are getting shipped.

Does anyone know FOR SURE how you can AIR ship shock absorbers between Japan and the USA ?
    Thx

-e
    1968/9 Nissan Patrol + 1970 Nissan Skyline GT + 1973 Datsun 240Z + 1974 VW Karmann Ghia + 1998 Toyota LandCruiser + 2006 MINI Cooper S

Re: Shipping shock absorbers (compressed gas) by AIR ??

Originally posted by ericbauer

Does anyone know FOR SURE how you can AIR ship shock absorbers between Japan and the USA ?
    Thx

-e
    Is it possible to ship the ^^^ units via a 3rd country to get round the Japan < > USA restriction eg say ship them from Japan > Dubai and then Dubai > into USA?

Or is the case that all imports into USA of such units is prohibited irrespective of origin ? :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Datsfun
      Originally posted by ericbauer

Thx

-e
      Is it possible to ship the ^^^ units via a 3rd country to get round the Japan < > USA restriction eg say ship them from Japan > Dubai and then Dubai > into USA?

Or is the case that all imports into USA of such units is prohibited irrespective of origin ? :shock:
      Since sea mail has been discontinued by the USPS, all things must go air freight. The airlines and FAA set these restrictions as the lower pressure of cruising altitude, in theory, could cause a gas container to fail. Batteries and perfumes have the potential to be flammable, perfume has alcohol, batteries produce hydrogen gas, so things of that nature are also a no go on a plane. Another side effect to USPS ditching sea mail is cost, it is prohibitively expensive to ship just about anything larger/heavier than a text book. Only way to for sure get gas shocks, struts, coilovers, etc. here is to buy in bulk and ship via container. If you've got a friend importing a car in a container, you can put what ever you want to in it unlike rollon/rolloff, so long as it is secured.

Kane

Comment

OCS will ship compressed gas struts from Japan to the USA - it will cost extra for the special handling
        But they will do it.

-e
        1968/9 Nissan Patrol + 1970 Nissan Skyline GT + 1973 Datsun 240Z + 1974 VW Karmann Ghia + 1998 Toyota LandCruiser + 2006 MINI Cooper S

Comment

I think my V50 rear shocks were shipped via black cat.

Comment

I'm sitting in the parking lot at Black cat.
            They said no....

Comment

USPS allow shock absorbers for shipping. They changed many rules now. They allow most of the part except a few products. For more information you check out at liteblue.usps.gov

Comment

Working...
              X