No announcement yet.

1986 Daihatsu L70/L80 Mira/Handi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to see it running again. That sound sure is inspiring to get moving on my own.

​There is much need for twincam power in my Mira

Comment

• wow nice work , Miras are at that stage of being a $500-900 car here(NZ) atm, theres no information about the 1989-94 models around, detailed info that is, the few that still run are run until they pop, then scrapped, no work done on them at all

What was the biggest tyre/wheel you could fit in em stock without alteration? my 89 has 145/70R12's atm, have to get four new ones dry rot got them, was thinking about putting a larger/wider wheel/tyre on it to make the ride a little smoother, but wasn't sure what would fit comfortably

it seems alot of cars used the ED 850cc engine, are alot of the parts interchangable from 85-94ish?

Comment

• Thanks, haha. They're not overly desirable over here either, but the L200, L500 and L700 models did see a bit of a rise in popularity in the wake of the stuff that MCM *shudder* did with the couple they had. Most of the ones left here are pretty haggard, but clean ones pop up occasionally.

Biggest you'd comfortably fit without having to beat the hell out of the guards would probably be around 135J +35, but people have fit anything as wide as 7J, from memory. A lot of this largely depends on what tyres you can get as well. Best bet would be to measure how much clearance you've got and have a fiddle around in one of the online wheel size calculators.

Mechanically, a lot of the L70/80, L200 and L500 Miras are pretty similar, with small changes here and there. The EJ-DE in mine came from an M100 Sirion and bolts up using all the factory parts like mounts, flywheel/clutch, gearbox, etc. so doing swaps is pretty easy on the mechanical side of things.
        The kei
        The Celica

Comment

• Holy crap man. This thing might be cooler than your RA. I'm SO SO jealous we never got anything like this here. I got to putt around in my moms Mira Gino when I visited her in Japan and it was one of the most fun cars I've driven.

Comment

• Haha, thanks man!

It's strange, because for all intents and purposes, it's a horrible car to drive around in. It's a pain in the arse to start when cold due to some triggering issues and a battery that is half-knackered, it's uncomfortable, has no A/C and shakes violently at highway speeds, but every time I drive it, it brings a childish grin to my face when I plant my right foot.

In other news, a good friend of mine got hitched recently, so I've actually been working on it over the past month or two to get it re-registered and in a complete(ish) state to make an appearance, in lieu of the Celica still being in more pieces than I'd like.

Last edited by ill-minded; 11-25-2016, 03:39 PM.
            The kei
            The Celica

Comment

• Glad to see you're still feeling the love. ​I'm currently scooting around in a L201. No interior and a side pipe don't add to the comfort, but still a hoot to drive every time. And as cheap as anything.

I'd love myself a 'little' project like your Celica at some point. Better look for a place for it to hide though. Rain and stuff..

Seen a nice Daihatsu Charmant for sale...tempting. Not sure you've had the Charmant over there..

Comment

Working...
              X