Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some more pics of the progress on the body:

Comment

And here is some of the engine half way put together.

Comment

The engine looks immaculate! Nice to see a piston-powered Mazda getting this kind of attention. :tu:
        -Cam
        1980 Toyota Celica
        1984 Porsche 911
        1988 Mazda RX-7
        Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
        http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5757/thetunahere.png

Comment

Here's some more cleaned up parts and some pics of what the body looks like as the moment.

I really struggled to clean some of the parts. The oil and grease are so hard, even if I let it lie in petrol it doesn't get soft. Some grease I have scratch off.

Thats probably what happens after 40 years...

Comment

Do anyone maybe have any idea where these might fit? When I took the engine out, it was still hanging on the chain block when I took off the timing cover. I cant remember exactly what i disassembled at the time, but i saw one half of this "washer" lying in the ground underneath the engine. But could not figure out where it came from.

The next day the other half was also lying on the ground. I still cant figure out where it came from. It doesn't fit anywhere in the engine. Anyway nowhere that I can figure out.

Comment

Those emblems turned out really nice! :tu:
              -Cam
              1980 Toyota Celica
              1984 Porsche 911
              1988 Mazda RX-7

Comment

Comment

1. Although I like coupes, I've always liked the capella sedan shape.
                  2. I like this project! I love that light blue colour too. Pity we never got it here in Australia.
                  3. You should join Ausrotary and chat to a guy called Bumpstart. He has an imported "Seth African" Capella and he found that it had a few differences from Aussie models sold here (in terms of suspension stuff etc)
                  4. Myself and another user on here, Aaron Hogan, have often wondered how a Capella would go with the later MA 2 litre engine and a 5spd box out of a 626. A friend of ours had this setup in a 808 sedan and it was a screamer! It surprised a lot of other drivers and unlike a rotary, literally used no fuel. It was great!

Good luck with the project, I'm looking forward to more updates.
                  occasional blog: http://ewokracing.tumblr.com

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

Comment

love your work, body is coming up nicely.

Got me a little stumped on those two piece's. I've owned nearly 60 Capella's through the years and haven't seen them. I'll try and dig up some of my manuals and see if I can find an answer. Some of the very early NA's had 2 piece lock plates near the front of the camshaft but they look different to what I've seen.

Ewok they go great with the MA. Done many a conversion. I worked a MA and turbo'ed it, rocket ship, ran 12 flat. A good friend just finished a Turbo MA running on straight LPG. We just trying to sort the four speed auto out, hammered with the three speed.

Not sure about ausrotary though with the moron factor on there!! We don't want to put him through the pain!!
                    Too many Mazda's in the collection. 4 Mitsubishi's, 6 Toyota's and now 3 Datsun's as well.
                    Putting together a Mazda/Japanese motor museum. New bigger venue for the museum has been bought, watch this space!

Comment

The car is coming along nicely and the motor looks very good! :tu: :tu: :tu:

When will it be running? Hopefully soon!

Originally posted by BlueRocket
                      Do anyone maybe have any idea where these might fit?
                      My guess would be either inside the timing cover behind the crank pully or somewhere around the cam.

Comment

Hopefully it will be running soon!

The body is almost done, then i can start building the car again.

Got the cylinder head back today. Reconditioned and ported a little bit. The final compression ratio after block and head was skimmed came out to 10:1 witch is a nice improvement from the 8.3:1 it was standard.

I send the cam in today to have it re-profiled for a longer duration.

Here's some pics of the cylinder head.

Comment

A little advice from a Mazda piston man!! I would recommend welding the two casting ports in the top of the cylinder head - these are those two round cylinder shapes in line with the second and forth cam journals. They have a bad habit of leaking water and with a little extra compression might bring it on sooner.

Easy job for your reco shop, just need a solid weld on the top. I can take a photo of one I'm doing at the moment if your like. Just make sure it's not too high otherwise it might hit the camshaft.
                          Too many Mazda's in the collection. 4 Mitsubishi's, 6 Toyota's and now 3 Datsun's as well.
                          Putting together a Mazda/Japanese motor museum. New bigger venue for the museum has been bought, watch this space!

Comment

Thanks, I have heard those plugs can have a problem with leaking. I will have look at maybe welding them as a precaution.

I started assembling the car this weekend.

Here's some pics.

Comment

That's a great job you are doing there.

One thing that concerns me is that radically machined flywheel. I few mates of mine used machined cast iron flywheels and with reasonably heavy use a few suffered stress cracks and one exploded and basically cut the car in half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR90pDzWu2A
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YYDGBK2Snc

For anything used in competition it's much safer to use a proper steel flywheel.

I hope you don't take this as criticism, it's just from experience I'd hate to see your lovely Capella ruined.

Comment

This build is progressing amazingly fast! Good work!
                                -Cam
                                1980 Toyota Celica
                                1984 Porsche 911
                                1988 Mazda RX-7

Comment

Working...
                                X