Mazda VB VC MA Engine guru needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda VB VC MA Engine guru needed!

Hello all! I have searched and searched online to find info out on these little motors. About a year ago I purchased a 72 B1600. It's a fun snappy little truck, runs great. But it has a slight chain rattle on start up and on decel when I push the clutch. But I noticed recently that the motor is not an NA 1.6 that it should be. I found on the block the letter VC and the head is stamped 8086 which is from a MA? I'm at a loss as to what timing chain set I should buy. Also have been told that there's Two different tensioner a ratcheting one and a non ratcheting one. Any tip or if would be appreciated.
    Last edited by glitch666; 07-25-2017, 05:07 PM.

vc is the 1800 from the 929 and some 121s. These are a terrible engine, and will give you valve stem seal and timing chain issues no matter what. The TC is the only good mazda 4 cylinder, from the 1300, 323 and 808s.
    Id like to be of more help or even say something nice, but i can't, as all my experience with these engines has been a great waste of time and money for zero joy.

Buy the manuals for these engines, mazda capella (na), 929 (Vc) and 626 (ma) from 79 to 82. these will have all the info you need,. copies pop up on eBay like this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-626...oAAOSwr~lYpcz7

and this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gregorys-...QAAOSwHMJYFtDc

and this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1973-1974...0AAOSwNRdYAb3~
    Last edited by restoremaz; 07-26-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond. That's the first negative thing I have heard about them. Also would the MA 2.0 head that's on it be better valve stem wise? This thing litteraly seem like a franken motor lol. But it is a good runner, doesn't smoke or knock. It actually makes the little truck it's in pretty fun. I was more worried about what timing set I would use since it's a 1.8 with a 2.0 head, if it requires a specific one. I also can't find any set that say it will fit a VC, they all just say NA/VB/MA...
      Also Tha k you for the link to the manuals, I will get those asap.

Comment

These engines work just fine for me. MA tends to blow head gaskets a bit faster then usual, but that's it really..
        Get an NA/VB/VC chain. Blocks are the same, except the bore which is larger on VB/VC. Do not get an MA chain. These are a taller engine, longer stroke, longer chain. Do not worry about the head being MA. They all interchange anyway. Re. the tensioner: I wouldn't worry about that also. Just check what's on there now. Also, check first if you have a double chain or a single chain..

Comment

By the way, I've uploaded that manual for you:
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0v4q09lki...ngine.pdf?dl=0

Comment

Originally posted by kv77 View Post
            These engines work just fine for me. MA tends to blow head gaskets a bit faster then usual, but that's it really..
            Get an NA/VB/VC chain. Blocks are the same, except the bore which is larger on VB/VC. Do not get an MA chain. These are a taller engine, longer stroke, longer chain. Do not worry about the head being MA. They all interchange anyway. Re. the tensioner: I wouldn't worry about that also. Just check what's on there now. Also, check first if you have a double chain or a single chain..
            Thank you, Thank you! I downloaded the manual and am reading it now. That answered most of my questions and I really appreciate that. But I do have just a couple more if you dont mind. I can get a NA chain set locally that has a 100 link chain in either single or double. I can also get a VB 106 link double set, why the different lengths? Do the single and double chains interchange? Do the tensioners interchange? I am getting a valve cover gasket to adjust them this weekend so Ill know a little bit more. Sorry for picking your brain.

Comment

Just rechecked. You'd need a VB/VC chain set. NA (1600cc) is indeed shorter. Your engine will probably be a double chain anyway. I've only seen the single chains on 1600cc engines

A good resource for you might be http://fordcourier.freeforums.net/
              Early ford couriers are basically a mazda B1800 underneath, which have a VC engine. They might point you in the right direction for getting correct parts in the US

Comment

Had that same issue, little rattle first 1 or 2 seconds when starting the engine (TC).
                With only 50k on the clock, i found it very unlikely to be a worn timing chain, so i start looking what caused that problem.
                Took me a while, but it turned out to be a misaligned chain guide rail. realigned it and never had a rattle again.
                1994 mazda 626 1.8L 16V hatchback
                1977 mazda 818 1.3L 8V coupe
                1992 mazda MX-6 2,5L 24V

www.dutchmazda818.nl

Comment

Originally posted by glitch666 View Post
                  Thank you for taking the time to respond. That's the first negative thing I have heard about them. Also would the MA 2.0 head that's on it be better valve stem wise? This thing litteraly seem like a franken motor lol. But it is a good runner, doesn't smoke or knock. It actually makes the little truck it's in pretty fun. I was more worried about what timing set I would use since it's a 1.8 with a 2.0 head, if it requires a specific one. I also can't find any set that say it will fit a VC, they all just say NA/VB/MA...
                  Also Tha k you for the link to the manuals, I will get those asap.
                  My MA in my 626 coupe was smokey because of the valve stem seals, i had them replaced, and it got smokey again in no time . I also later on had it bored out, bigger pistons, cam regrind, webber carby. complete waste of time and money. a stock 10a rotary would have left it for dead.

Comment

Hi guys. I built a VC many years ago and it went very well i.e. my buddy's 12A stood no chance up to around 190km/h at which point he'd come sweeping past me; but I was happy I'm currently building another and I'm looking for a billet high lift cam for a MA/VC engine - none over here in South Africa. Can anyone help me?

Comment

Working...
                    X