1996 na8c mx-5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    This is one of the nicest NA MX5's I've ever seen. My brother has a NA8 Clubman so I have a soft spot for them. Great write up too! I will have to go back over it in more depth as it's just too epic!
    Oh awesome! Thanks for the kind words mate!

Originally posted by KiKiIchiBan View Post
    Very nice MX5
    Cheers bud!

Comment

Thanks for your message last month Steve. I've now had a good look at this MX5 and agree it is superb and very tastefully enhanced. I'm all over you on IG and will hope to see it/you on the streets of Sydney soon!

Comment

Originally posted by BunsenBurna View Post
        Thanks for your message last month Steve. I've now had a good look at this MX5 and agree it is superb and very tastefully enhanced. I'm all over you on IG and will hope to see it/you on the streets of Sydney soon!

Cheers mate! Big fan of your FC as I already mentioned in your thread! Hope to see it/you in the streets of Sydney soon too! Maybe we should tee something up

Comment

When I took delivery of my MX-5, I considered myself extremely lucky to have purchased one which was straight, unmodified, original and very clean. In fact, it was probably the cleanest one I had seen in person. However, given that the car is now 21 years old, things will naturally start to wear and will eventually need replacing no matter how clean the car may seem. One of these things would be the HVAC system.

Recently purchased a good second hand NB heater core and the heater core housing assembly from MX-5 Mania. It was a little dusty and dirty but overall in great condition. The housing assembly is the same for both the NA and NB and is a direct bolt on affair but the NB MX-5's had the aluminium heater cores compared to the copper ones that the NA's received. A few benefits of the NB aluminium heater core are that they have removable, stronger metal hoses as they detach at the base of the heater core itself whereas the NA's copper heater cores were one unit, pipes and all. This means that theoretically you wouldn't need to remove your dash to change the heater core should it fail later on as you can just take the core out from the housing assembly, replace it with a new aluminium core and just re-use the pipes (however, I'd still probably take it all out just to be sure even if it may be a pain in the ass to do. Good opportunity for a clean). Also, the ends of the NA heater core pipes are copper and are quite soft, which means they can bend easily and get damaged which may result in coolant leaks.

I took this opportunity to give the housing assembly a good clean, wiping off all the dust, dirt and bits of nature it had accumulated during its time. I also got rid of the brittle old foam from the flaps and the assembly surround, cleaned the adhesive residue it left behind and replaced it with brand new foam. It came up very nicely if I do say so myself. Looking at how dirty this was, I can only imagine just how filthy the current one is. Although it's currently working fine and nothing is leaking, for the time being I might circulate some water through my existing heater core to flush out any grime and gunk.

The dash will have to come out for me to install this full assembly with the new NB heater core but I will be installing it together with my A/C retrofit when the time comes. Since the dash is going to come out, it will also give rise to other things which I will be doing at the same time such as thermal insulation/sound deadening in the chassis, giving the carpets some treatment, fixing and cleaning up any loose wiring and sanding and painting the metal dash bar as it will most likely have surface rust.

NB Heater core and housing assembly. Notice the amount of crap accumulated behind the mesh.

NB heater core metal pipes.

Foam inside the assembly. You can see that it has started to deteriorate. When you run your fingers through the foam it flakes off. Time to replace it!

Closeup of the mesh and the bits of leaves and other crap.

The brown foam needs replacing. The surrounding foam could also do with a refresh.

Surrounding foam removed.

Dirty mesh filter. Some hot soapy water was needed to clean this. Before...

...and after. Much better!

Old foam removed and ready for the new foam.

Surrounds and flaps re-foamed. Mesh filter and housing assembly all cleaned.

Close up of new foam for the flaps and surrounds.

Ready to install.

Comment

Recently, I was asked by "Club Torque" (a quarterly magazine of the Mazda MX-5 Club of NSW) if they could use the sunrise photo I took last month at Palm Beach as the cover for their 2017 summer edition. I happily obliged and I think it came out great!

The magazine is both printed on high quality gloss paper and available online in PDF format and it has the latest reports on club events such as meets, drive days, social events, motorsports as well as media releases, tech tips, etc. The online version can be found here :

http://nsw.mx5.com.au/club-zone/magazine

Many thanks to Mel Keller, editor of the magazine.

Comment

I decided to replace the rear tail lamp gaskets. The gaskets for these tail lamps become brittle and can fail over time simply due to age which would compromise the seal and a failed gasket which isn't sealed properly can mean that water could make its way into the boot, which would then be a breeding ground for rust. Sure enough, the gaskets were old and crusty but it didn't look all that bad. They held up quite well as I've seen far worse. I replaced with OEM parts and it's now good as new for at least the next 20 years.

Decided to remove the centre number plate garnish as well and give everything a good clean behind there as there would have been a lot of dirt and dust accumulated behind the garnish over time. Removing it was pretty straight forward. Just a couple of 10mm nuts to unscrew and a couple of plastic clips holding the garnish in place. Some warm soapy water, all purpose cleaner and degreaser along with some elbow grease and it came up looking awesome.

Old OEM gaskets VS new OEM gaskets.

As you can see, the gasket is still in pretty good condition but it has started to become old and brittle on the left side of the gasket.

Old passenger side gasket.

Centre number plate garnish and tail lamps removed. Pretty filthy.

Some rags, warm soapy water, all purpose cleaner and degreaser and a plastic scraper was used to bring it back to factory fresh condition.

Fresh and clean, ready for the new gasket.

Tail lamps were also given a good clean.

Comment

Went for a little drive today since it's been a while that I've had the car out and about due to all the rain we've had over the past month (constant rain/shit weather for the full month of March and the last 2 weeks of February).

Felt good to just get the car out and drive

Comment

Late night drives...

Comment

Before.

Comparison.

After.

Comment

Hi
                      you're NA8 is a gem and looks like you're taking great care of her, so lucky you are. Thank you for keeping us updated with pictures and latest find.
                      sean

Comment

Working...
                      X