JDM 1986 FC3S GT Limited - the long term "investment"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiKiIchiBan View Post
    I want another FD. Did you get a Spirit R?
    Rarer than a Spirit R, an RZ!

I love the Spirit R, and it would go well in my collection but the prices are hard to justify - even though I know they'll keep going up. The RZ is a good compromise and keeps some $$ in my pocket for any work I need to do to it, and for another car

Comment

175 vs 1500 wasn’t it?

For me the only rear Spirit R is the Type A, id not empty my bank account on a B or C.

The Series 8 version VI RZ is possibly the holy grail for a rare FD in its snow white pearl mica paint, red Recaro, red stitching on the nardi, bbs wheels etc you chose well!

I for one would love to see a thread on it.
      P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...-jcca-race-car

Comment

Went and saw the car today with brand new exhaust in, rebuilt engine back in and running!

New exhaust under car:

Back:

Engine back in - factory air intake had to modified slightly to cater for the new, massive radiator - a small price to pay for ultimate cooling:

The exhaust has exceeded my expectations - it looks factory, breathes 1000% better and it's quieter.

Still need to fit the Adaptronic ECU, install new suspension (MCA Street Essentials), rebuild brake components and probably rebuild clutch components too. Then she'll be on the dyno for a run in tune and then I'll be running her. ETA 3 weeks.

So pumped!
        Last edited by BunsenBurna; 04-13-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KiKiIchiBan View Post
          175 vs 1500 wasn’t it?

For me the only rear Spirit R is the Type A, id not empty my bank account on a B or C.

The Series 8 version VI RZ is possibly the holy grail for a rare FD in its snow white pearl mica paint, red Recaro, red stitching on the nardi, bbs wheels etc you chose well!

I for one would love to see a thread on it.

Yep 175 of the RZs. The masses will mostly say the Spirit R Type A is the one to be had, but like you I reckon the RZ is right up there. So pleased to hear at least one person is keen to see a thread on it. Once I make some more progress with the shipping etc I'll get it all started.

Cheers!

Comment

Great the forum is back online...woo!

So I picked up the car a couple of weeks ago and couldn't use it for a week as I was overseas. I am now in the middle of running in the new engine - I need to put 1000 - 1500kms on it before we can dial in a bit of boost and tune her properly.

Here's a tiny vid, filmed by my 5 year old:

https://youtu.be/3XhXvqbsuUM
            Last edited by BunsenBurna; 05-09-2018, 06:55 AM. Reason: How TF do you embed videos?!

Comment

OK here's what was done:

Engine (this was overkill...so I'll hope I've done it right once and for all!)
              • new housings
              • new gaskets, springs, seals, oil rings, oil rubbers, water seals
              • end plates machined
              • mild porting
              • Rx8 stationary gears
              • FD Rx7 rotating assembly (wasn't expecting this, but glad for it!)
              • new hoses/lines where required
              • new plugs, oil, coolant
              Other
              • Turbo rebuilt to Garrett roller 34/76
              • Modified series 5 turbo housing
              • Alloy heavy duty radiator (way overkill)
              • Adaptronic plug-in ECU with pre-tune
              • Custom stainless exhaust 3" through to 2.5" mufflers via 3" high flow cat and resonator
              • New DBA slotted rotors
              • New pads
              • Reco Brake MC
              • MCA Street Essentials suspension
              • New clutch
              • Injectors rebuilt
              What's left?

I've put about 350kms on the car this week and although I'm limiting the revving to 4500 rpm, it is a completely different car. The turbo makes boost almost immediately and even at 7psi, that 3000-4500rpm bracket is just delicious. However, leaving it there would be a travesty given the work that has been done.

I refuse to go FMIC so the TMIC I know is the limitation now due to heat soak. I'd like to see a high boost tune at 12psi and a low boost at the current 7psi.

To support 12psi I will add an upgraded fuel pump and we'll need a boost controller. Hopefully see all that done within the next month. Any predictions on power output at 7 and 12 psi?!
              Last edited by BunsenBurna; 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

From one of my recent cruises:

I took a bunch of video recently too on a GoPro knock off...sadly the sound is AWFUL so it's not really pleasant viewing. Will try and address this next time!

Comment

Howdy, i stumbled across your build thread and it has been a great read, I recently picked up an 87 Japanese Import (GT-R) I think and very similar to yours. Been working to return it as best as possible to factory spec. An interesting side note is that I was trying to get the number plates you have so had to get a little variation.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartjhamilton View Post
                    Howdy, i stumbled across your build thread and it has been a great read, I recently picked up an 87 Japanese Import (GT-R) I think and very similar to yours. Been working to return it as best as possible to factory spec. An interesting side note is that I was trying to get the number plates you have so had to get a little variation.

Hey Stuart - congrats on your car! The wheels and ride height look excellent. Are they 17" wheels?

Your picture is just too small to make out the plate - I tried a bunch of times to post pics directly to the forum but they were only ever tiny. I'm now using Flickr to host the pics and then I just add picture tags...

In other news, I ordered this recently - will start a separate thread soon!!!

01FDRZ.png

Comment

Hey, looking forward to seeing your new purchase, I would like to get an FD import also, however I think I may get in a little trouble if I do so....garage space is a premium.

The wheels on my FC3s are only 15" and its got coilovers on it so its sitting pretty low.

Still trying to get this picture uploaded in, going to try Flickr

Comment

A Better image at least.

IMG_1991 copy.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X