Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDM 1986 FC3S GT Limited - the long term "investment"

Hi all
    This is my first post here. My name is Scott and I'm from Sydney Australia. In the last 12 months I've been plotting the search and acquisition of a JDM classic. This has included many, many hours searching auction sites, reading through forums like JNC, emails to and from my broker in Japan, and the occasional hint to my wife that my garage will inevitably be growing. 2 weeks ago the search concluded with a successful bid on a 1986 s4 FC3S GT Limited RX-7 and I am so, so pumped about it!
    A bit of background:
    First car almost 20 years ago was a 1986 SOHC Toyota Corolla - only car I never had a major issue with, funny that! Second was a s1 12/1970 build Rx-2 Coupe - had this for over 3 years, thought I had a foolproof plan to restore and build it but that fell apart when my 'trusty' panel beater went out of business and my old man declared the car a death trap. I still have a bunch of part for it actually...then came motor bikes for a while, didn't end well. Then no driver's licence for a while. in 2010 a twin charged 1.4 TSI Golf with work, now a 2014 Subaru Forester family basher. Also 5 years ago with improved maturity and funding I acquired a 1994 R32 GTR - this was a child hood dream. I put some decent dollars into it, with bolt on mods got it to 320awkw, I wasn't enjoying on the road because it was a) just a bit rough and b) too tempting to drive fast and I wasn't quite prepared to turn it track only because it wasn't rough enough. I tagged a wall at a track day recently which made the choice easy - get rid of it and get a dedicated track pig (180sx Type X) and make way for my return to wankel power.
    On to the quest for a JDM classic:
    My criteria was: straight, as close to bone stock as possible, low kms and/or decent service history and becoming hard to find. My budget ruled things like classic Nissan KCG10s out (GTRs going for 200k+ WTF?!) - AE86s were getting a look, but I knew deep down I wanted rotary power, either a late s3 12a turbo (I read Orion's thread on here about 3 times end to end) or a s4 - had to be pre-1988 to satisfy the laws here in Australia.
    I came within about AUD$2000 of getting a s3 - she was a beauty, middle spec GT-X with an IMMACULATE service history and a few reliability mods. Whoever got her, well done. (Edit: Thought I still had a pic of her, can't find it now)

Then I stumbled on this seductress:
    thumb_IMG_0367_1024-20150903-225711658.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0368_1024-20150903-225708510.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0364_1024-20150903-225746778.jpg

GT Limited with sunroof, leather seats, must be one of the first with factory CD player and, wait for it, a shade under 40,000kms.

I thought this must be too good be true, so I had my broker check it out, and engaged Japanese Odometer Check to run the registration history. The broker said it looked neat and clean inside out. The odometer check revealed a registration event in 2011 when it was recorded as having 32,600kms. Good enough for me!

There were a couple of oddities, which I will justify to myself helped keep more attention away from it. It was sitting on non-original and mis-matched wheels, it has no badges bar one, it has had some sort of paint job on the rear, it has after market blitz mufflers - these s4s had a poor waste gate design and a free flowing exhaust, without a simple mod of the waste gate could see over boost issues which could mean engine trouble. The AC also doesn't work, there is a crack in the dash somewhere, and the driver's seat has some wear.

Alas, the deal is done and I am delighted. Wait till you see some of the interior pics and the wheels I have bought to go on it.

At this point it is scheduled to go on a boat from Japan in early October, arriving last October, with 3-4 weeks to comply it.

I have read many, many build threads in the years gone by but this is my first. Thanks for reading.

More soon...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BunsenBurna; 09-12-2015, 11:49 AM. Reason: Wrong s3 pics attached

Got a bunch more photos direct from the broker (Iron Chef Imports, can't speak highly enough about them - ask here or PM me if you'd like to know the process in detail) now that the car has reached their shop. Check. It. Out.
    thumb_DSC_0093_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC_0138_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC_0098_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC_0122_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC_0128_1024.jpg

So far so good. Fingers crossed it continues to impress in the metal!

Comment

Original Pioneer head unit with tape deck AND CD player - waiting to hear if it currently works!
      thumb_DSC_0130_1024.jpg

Comment

Hey nice car, looks a lot like mine, youve got the gt limited with all the options by the look! the digital AC controls, extra door speakers, cd player and a manual are quite a combo.

There is a guy on ebay selling correct savanna decal (for a price) you need the ones with the black lines through the font as s5 style is solid black, if you need measurements on decal placement let my know,
        sweet car!

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...ighlight=dover
        '69 Honda C50 Cub
        '79 Honda C50 Cub
        '73 Honda ST90 Mighty Dax
        '70 Honda SL100 motosport
        '75 Honda CF50 Chaly
        '86 Honda Z50R
        '85 RX7 FC3S

Comment

Hey mate, thanks for your comments. I had already read your thread multiple times!

I am very keen to get the correct decals in precisely the right places - please let me know the details.
          Cheers

Comment

Mint steering wheel...and cruise control!
            thumb_DSC_0125_1024.jpg

Comment

Sneak peek of the wheels I picked up for this beauty:
              RX7 Wheels.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts!

Comment

These only get better with age and your wheel choice looks great - nice clean design. Keep the updates coming!

Comment

I'm just green with envy, my favorite rotary, congrats on your purchase please keep us updated once you get it home
                  cheers
                  sean

Comment

So I'm a bit devo we missed the first scheduled departure from Japan of 4 October. New ETD 18 October and ETA in Australia first week of November. Should still see me cruising around before Christmas!
                    In the mean time, this showed up on the weekend so I'll be busy for a while:
                    20151002_181102 (Medium).jpg
                    20151003_133536 (Medium).jpg

Comment

Car is on the water! Scheduled to arrive in Port Kembla on 31 October and 4 or 5 weeks from then to get it complied and registered. Can't wait!
                      I bought this rotary shaped lighter at World Time Attack Challenge in Sydney on the weekend. Do you reckon it will look good in the car or look tacky?
                      20151020_210530.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BunsenBurna View Post
                        Car is on the water! Scheduled to arrive in Port Kembla on 31 October and 4 or 5 weeks from then to get it complied and registered. Can't wait!
                        I bought this rotary shaped lighter at World Time Attack Challenge in Sydney on the weekend. Do you reckon it will look good in the car or look tacky?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]849[/ATTACH]
                        Nice! Won't look tacky, just keep the old one though as there unique to the fc.
                        I also haven't forgot about the decal placement measurements, I'll try get out to the garage this weekend.
                        '69 Honda C50 Cub
                        '79 Honda C50 Cub
                        '75 Honda CF50 Chaly
                        '86 Honda Z50R
                        '85 RX7 FC3S

Comment

Thanks for that RedSunday. If you can also let me know where to find them on ebay that would be great. My searches so far haven't given me any confidence...

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-88-MAZDA-Savanna-RX-7-RX7-MK2-Trunk-Decal-FC-FC3S-GXL-GTX-GT-R-Rotary-Turbo-/121785759296?hash=item1c5aff3640:g:228AAOSwu4BVn3n I&vxp=mtr

These are for the s5, I have these decals.
                            Ive seen genuine ones for the s4 pop up but there expensive. They are different in that they have lines through the lettering like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-92-Mazda-Savanna-RX-7-GT-R-Fender-Decal-Sticker-FC-FC3S-Mazda-RX7-Sticker-/121776061114?hash=item1c5a6b3aba:g:EN8AAOSwMmBVofV A&vxp=mtr
                            Last edited by RedSunday; 10-25-2015, 06:50 AM.
                            '69 Honda C50 Cub
                            '79 Honda C50 Cub
                            '75 Honda CF50 Chaly
                            '86 Honda Z50R
                            '85 RX7 FC3S

Comment

Thanks for that RedSunday...will keep an eye out for some s4 items

Comment

Working...
                              X