1980 Mazda 626

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1980 Mazda 626

Thanks for the info Philip. I'm about to head out to the garage and see about swapping the rear third of the transmission cases, putting the 626 tail portion and shifter onto the rx7 trans. Both transmissions have the same overall length, so this would allow use of the OEM transmission crossmember and keep the shifter in the same location. My thoughts are that this would also allow the OEM driveshart to be used, necessitating only the removal of the factory engine mounts and the subsequent fabrication of new mounts for the 12A. The front mounted 12A would require mounts about 8" further forward in the engine bay,but there is a ton of room up there.

I'm not overly concerned with the header, the 12A already has an aftermarket unit, and as you pointed out, I don't have the steering box in the way since the car is RHD. If I do need to make a new header, at least it will only require two tubes!

I really want the carbureted 12A too look like it came in the 626 from the factory when I'm done. I'll let you guys know how things go with the transmissions later!
    1982 CB900 Supersport build http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=49045.0

1980 mazda 626 build viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21748

Comment

A few shots from today

626 on the left, rx7 on the right. Seems like a simple enough swap.

626 speedometer gear, retained by a single snap ring.

Tail housings off of both transmissions.

626 tail housing in its new home.

She rows through the gears great. Now I can use my factory transmission crossmember, factory driveshaft, have a properly reading speedometer, and have no issues with shifter placement!.

http://youtu.be/f9jloiqCeSU
      1982 CB900 Supersport build http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=49045.0

Comment

That's a handy mod to know, I could see that combination of shifter location being handy for a few different rotary conversions. :tu: keep the updates coming.

Comment

Got a little bit done yesterday. Cut the old engine mounts off of the crossmember.

Cleaned up and painted the transmission crossmember.

Started doing this.

Then got it sitting in the bay

So It looks like I'm going to have to make a new engine crossmember that sits a few inches further forward in the bay than where the factory one is. I'll build it from 2x2 box tubing, not sure if I'm going to weld it in, or make it a bolt on setup. Then I'll cut away the center section of the old crossmember to make room for the oil pan. The transmission mount and swapped rear on the transmission look like they're going to work perfectly, but I will have to clearance the transmission tunnel in order to make room for the clutch fork to actuate at the slave cylinder.I may also have to get a remote oil filter kit, but I won't know for sure until the engine is in place. The engine is sitting back really far in the bay, so less weight than the piston engine, lower, and closer to the center, should provide better balance to the car as a whole.

Comment

Before you go ripping in with the grinder and cutting things up post some pics of the sump etc there are a few members here who have done this kinda swap and may be able to save you some hassles. Looks like it's heading in the right direction now the rotor is in there.

Comment

Seeing as you are working in reverse - gearstick position instead of motor position,
              Have you done a steering lock to lock check? I will guarantee your drag link and inner tie tod ends will hit the base of the rear engine iron with where you have positioned it.

Edit 10.10.14: Here's some pics if you don't understand what i am talking about.
              Dummy engine in position:

LH idler arm full lock left; but shows rear engine iron(end plate) and bell housing position

LH idler arm full lock right:

Comment

Hey hows it going with this? ?The weather is warming up so I thought I would check in for progress...

Comment

Things are finally moving along again, slowly but surely. I actually just moved across town to a bigger house, with a larger garage, so the 626 is no longer living outside. I constructed a new crossmember in the correct location to front mount the 12A, but I still need to mock up and weld the chassis-side mounts to the new crossmember. The engine and transmission are in the bay, using the rear section and speedometer gear from the 626 transmission and mounting to the RX7 front portion worked beautifully, everything lines up right. I'm able to use the factory transmission crossmember, and the factory driveshaft, the shifter sits in the stock location. The downside is as others have run into, the position of the clutch fork and slave cylinder, which are firmly up against the transmission tunnel. Instead of going the old "heat and beat" method to open up the tunnel, I'm going to cut out the section of the tunnel that I need to clearance, and thenbuild a boxed section that I will weld in place.

The steering situation is... interesting. There is about 3 millimeters of clearance between the oil pan and the steering linkage right now, which will be increased slightly when I make the mounts, but not much. So the end links of the center steering link kick up, which does limit steering angle. The up side is that when I purchased the car it was so low, that the steering wheel could only be turned about 90 degrees before the tires were stopped by the fenders, so it's still a net gain in steering angle. Sorry I don't have pictures right now, we're still unpacking boxes and getting used to our new house!

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are still at it with this car. keep up the progress and post lots of pics!

Comment

I'm starting to think that I may look for a rear steer style steering rack of similar width for this car. That way I could do away with the current lock to lock issue and ditch the additional linkages involved in these older style systems, time to start looking up the width and ratios of racks!

Comment

So it's been a while. It looked like the former owner was going to purchase the car back from me, so I picked up a 1962 Impala, sold the rotary and transmission. Then things didn't work out with the PO getting the 626 back, so I sold the Impala, bought an FR-S, am selling my E30, and decided to keep the 626 to tinker with.

So now I have this beautiful old 626 sitting in my garage with no engine or transmission. Now I'm debating between just putting an entire Miata wheels/suspension/drivetrain under it, or getting super lazy and dropping a small block chevy in it...

Comment

Bumping this thread back from the dead. Picked up a 91 Miata that runs, but was wrecked and subsequently used as a trail buggy. Will post pics soon

Comment

Working...
                          X