Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My newest toy (Dream 50 -> CB125T -> Dream 50)!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My newest toy (Dream 50 -> CB125T -> Dream 50)!

Thanks for the comment Travmac!

Time for a completely unrelated post! My good buddy back in Texas has a CX500 and heís been tossing around ideas about how best to build it. Heís made a few quick and dirty photoshops and this got me thinking about how I would build a CX500 if money were no object. Money is very much so an object with his build, but with the wonderful tool of Photoshop, it isnít for me. This was my result!

The main frame and engine are from the CX500, the front forks and front and rear wheels are from a CB750, the tank and seat are from the Honda RC161 and the monoshock rear is from a different custom built CX500.

I think it looks pretty rad and would love to build this someday!

Cheers,
    David
    1967 LT23 Mitsubishi 360 // 1967 L10A Cosmo Sports // 1971 S30 Fairlady Z // 1973 PR95 Bellett 1800 GT // 1978 PA95 Isuzu 117 Coupe // 1979 SA22C Mazda RX7 // 1988 Z31 300 ZX SS
    Homepage: http://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/home

Comment

the cx500 is shaft drive or chain?

for some reason i think shaft drive.

def a cool looking bike.

love the dream 50. made me look on yahoo auctions and roll on roll off stuff for one.

Comment

Originally posted by 76RA24
        the cx500 is shaft drive or chain?
        for some reason i think shaft drive.
        def a cool looking bike.
        love the dream 50. made me look on yahoo auctions and roll on roll off stuff for one.
        Thanks for the comments on the Dream! The CX500 is definitely a shaft drive bike, which means that spoke wheels have to be custom made for it. Finding pictures of that is quite tough though, so I just lifted the spoke wheels from a CB750 for the Photoshop. I think it would be a cool bike to build, but it'd definitely be far, far too expensive, haha.

Cheers,
        David
        1967 LT23 Mitsubishi 360 // 1967 L10A Cosmo Sports // 1971 S30 Fairlady Z // 1973 PR95 Bellett 1800 GT // 1978 PA95 Isuzu 117 Coupe // 1979 SA22C Mazda RX7 // 1988 Z31 300 ZX SS

Comment

I have been riding this little beast pretty much every nice weather day after work that I can! She runs better now than she ever has. She starts on the first kick every time without fail. If I tuck, I can hit a solid 85 km/h, which is flying for a stock 50cc engine and carb with the sprocket changed for acceleration instead of top end. I snapped this pic at the end of a nice cruise I had after work last week.

Don't be deceived by the photo though. It looks like a proper full sized bike, but let me assure you, this thing is indeed tiny. It's not that it's scaled down because it actually shares the same size wheels and wheelbase as the old 1960s 125 twin race bikes Honda was building. Those bikes were tiny too though, haha. To give a bit of scale, this last Sunday while I was working on my Bellett, my buddy (who came over to work on his Mazdaspeed Atenza) took a snap of me tucking as hard as I could on it.

Now keep in mind that I'm a huge dude, coming in a at a massive 6'4" (or about 194 cm for the metric minded).

Since the bike is running so beautifully after having been neglected for so long, I thought I'd buy her something nice. A few clicks on Yahoo Auctions and a few days later this shows up at my door!

Yup, full race cowl! I popped it on right quick and balanced it on some spare boxes I had laying around to give a rough idea of how it would look. I think it's going to look completely awesome!

I can't wait to get to work on this thing. It was pretty cheap because it's an FRP replica of the much more expensive cowls and it didn't come with any mounting hardware. So, I have to create all the mounts and braces from scratch, which will be exciting.

Also, I have to ditch the headlight in favor of something smaller that I can place under the cowl and I have to find an inventive way to mount the turn signals. Regardless, I think it'll look pretty sweet when all said and done!

Thanks for reading guys!
          David

Comment

So, last weekend I was helping a buddy swap an XR50 engine into his CB50, so I didn't get a chance to work on the cowl. I did however sneak out of work early yesterday and got some very basic work done. I'm starting by building a frame for the cowl out of aluminum and steel brackets as they are light enough to bend by hand and get the adjustments correct. Then, once I get the whole frame built like this, I will use it as a template to build something far more substantial.

Here you can see the square aluminum stock I'm using for the frame part that rides against the cowl and the black steel that I've bent to attach to the bike frame.

After drilling a few holes I slid the cowl over for a test fit and then wheeled the bike outside to check alignment.

It's pretty close to being spot on actually. I think the front needs to come up a hair and the back down a tad, but that's awfully simple with the setup I have now. It's only connected to the bike at one point, so next I need to build another connection point to the frame to lock the cowl position in place. Here you can see the black bracket heading in to the bike. That's the single connection point, which allows me a lot of freedom in bending and adjusting to get the position spot on.

After I get the base part of the frame built, I need to build a frame that moves up towards the headlight area to hold that section solid as well. Once it's all built, it's coming apart again to build it up properly one more time out of something far stronger than the cheap aluminum I'm using.

I'm really digging the way it looks though! I think with a bit more work, this can turn into something completely awesome!

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,
            David

Today's garage soundtrack:
            Anlogik - Newseeland
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChqrbYHuQ1E

Comment

Totally unrelated post, but I thought I7d post up an inspirational photo of my all-time favorite non-Japanese bike.

The Motobecane:

Of course, if we include Japanese bikes, my all time favorite bike is the Honda RC166.

250cc inline six cylinder pumping out an unbelievable 60+ hp! Out of a 250!

What a work of art!

Cheers,
              David

Comment

We left off last time with the cowl just barely attached by one bolt to the frame. I bent up two pieces of metal and bolted them together to get the length right and added those in for another frame point to mount the cowl.

This made the front half of the cowl very sturdy, but the lower stay still had a bit of flex in it. So, I bent up another piece to triangulate that piece against the frame. One side of the cowl is bolted to an aluminum cross bar, which is bolted to the frame at three points. That makes the cowl attached to the frame at six points total. It feels completely rock solid! I bent up all new steel of the appropriate lengths for the stays and then sprayed some black on the aluminum cross bars, creating a version 1.5 of my stays.

Next, I had to build a stopper for the handlebars that stopped them short of the stock stopper or else the handles crashed into the cowl. A little piece of steel and a bolt solved that problem right quick! These are very similar to the factory HRC stops. Please excuse the rusty bolt head, the only bolts I had long enough to work were used. I will replace those once I take another trip to the home center.

I sprayed some silver paint on the outside and black paint on the inside of the cowl and then bolted it up to v.1.5 of my cowl stays.

Here you can see the black stays really disappear in there. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

The handle bars were actually too low in those photos, so I did some quick readjusting of those and ended up with this.

The bike really draws attention now! Even on my short test runs around the neighborhood (which proved the stays to be 100% solid), everyone looks at the bike! It draws a ton of attention but it's so slow that it doesn't draw any of the unwanted attention, haha.

It's not all show though, I got up onto a major road (where you have to drive nearly double the limit just to keep up) and opened her up. I tucked in hard and even without a windscreen on it, I picked up an extra 500 rpm on the top end. If my math is right, that puts me right at 90 km/h! That's flying for a 50! I changed sprockets to one that favors acceleration over top speed, but seeing as how it tops out 5th pretty easily now, I think I'll have to switch back and sacrifice a bit of acceleration for top end.

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
                David

Today's garage soundtrack
                Aesop Rock - Skelethon
                Link: http://youtu.be/CYNBOAoXReQ

Comment

Looks great David, and 90kph is pretty quick for a little 50cc! I assume you're intending to put a wraparound screen on it when you're done? Have you thought about the headlight mount yet and how you'll integrate the turn signals on the front? You could probably find some little LED turn signals that would blend in, not be as noticeable and not draw much power at all (and you could put LED signals at the back too)...? I'm not a big bike guy, but I would think ANY help to the charging system on a 50cc would be a help! :P

Comment

I remember those street going Dream 50's were available in Japan for about US $3,200. Over here in USA we had the closed course model w/out lights, horn, etc. I ended up buying a CD50 Benly in Japan & importing it into the USA. Great running bike. It was modified to look like a Dream 50. But, now I want a Honda Solo which was available in Japan but not USA.

Comment

Beautiful!!!
                      "Your one stop spot for pre-1988 Honda/Acura parts"

Comment

Working...
                      X