Nissan Bluebird Coupe (JCCA Race Car)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KiKiIchiBan
    started a topic Nissan Bluebird Coupe (JCCA Race Car)

Nissan Bluebird Coupe (JCCA Race Car)

Bonjour, tout le monde!

Now then.

Long time lurker, recent posted. I've been working on purchasing this for a while (5 months) and before that, I spent about twice that looking for a nice Capella or Savanna coupe but I couldnt find one in budget that was 80% complete, but, one garage I found that had both a Capella and a Savanna (both LHD US Imports) had this little Nissan tucked away in the back, when I saw it, I had to have it :mrgreen:

The story goes (according to the seller) that the car was built as a race car in the 70's and has always been a race car. Looked after by Refresh60, oddly has some TRD/Tosco parts, but for the last 14 years hasn't been used.

I know it'll need some parts and a lot of work to get it back to where it should be, but I'm looking forward to it.

Sadly this will be a very slow restoration as I'm getting the car shipped to the UK (for tax reasons) and I won't be joining it for a minimum of 11 months as I've had my overseas contract extended.

I'll pop over to spend a weekend with it and make a list of what it needs and then spend the next year buying parts for it so that when I do return, I can get stuck it :twisted:

As per my other post, any Nissan Bluebird racing history is much appreciated, hopefully I can find out a little bit more about my car.

Now for the interesting bit, the pictures.

TRD 11500 RPM rev counter

Some spare parts:

SSR MK1s will be sold, no idea what the wheels on the right are, any help? Pistons in a box are never a good thing :roll:

Refresh60 decal on an (So I've been fold) FIA Rear spoiler.

TRD Seat? Not 100% sure but does look like the old TRD/Tosco seat.

Can't quite make out what this says:

Close up of that TRD gauge

And those wheels again:

Tosco on the front:

SSR MK3 on the read:

Bonnet and boot are fibre

Built by 'Suppose'

Earl's front mount oil cooler. Very cool 8)

ATL Fuel cell in the boot:

ETA is mid/late July, hopefully I'll be able to go back to the UK then (I'll be working in Breckenridge, Colorado first 2-3 weeks of July)

Deliberately I've missed out the engine, it should be an L18 'race' engine, but I won't know this until I get it home and get it apart, sadly the intake manifold and carbs, along with the exhaust manifold have been removed but they did leave the cool side exit muffler.

A few areas of concern on the body, could be poor paint (the hood looks rusty from the pictures but being FRP it's clearly poor paint) but I'm prepared for the worst. I have a long journey ahead of me :shock:

Cordialement,

RW

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    It's been a while since I've posted an update. Mainly because there isn't one. I did get the engine up and running for motivation, then left it alone again.

https://youtu.be/-F9ZYKwzZyY

Got to the point now where I know I'll never have the time to do what I want to it, so it'll be left in the garage for the rest of the year while I do more 'big life stuff' like redevelop this house again making it even bigger, or sell it and move to a bigger house, moving to a new job soon and a few other things so towards the end of the year it'll be sent out for someone else to finish off the body work and paint and I can then just bolt up nice new shiny bits. Maybe next year...

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    Plenty of opinions on this, but I was never going to run the car with air filters. I go to a lot of historical racing here in Europe and no one seems to fun filters and pictures I've seen of my car when it used to run and the original SCCN Bluebirds didn't run filters either.
    That being said, I found these online:

Untitled by Kieron Ash, on Flickr

Ordered an extra set for a mate who's got a TA22.

Before:

During:

After:

It won't stop small particles, but it looks better than the chicken wire wrapped over the trumpets that some seem to do.

One night in the week, I found some 918 Orange from the Zed in a rattle can online. Looking at pictures, they seem to vary from a deep orange/red to a faded orange/yellow. Took a punt and grabbed 2 cans of it.

I had an off cut from a patch panel that was already in grey primer so I hit it a few times.

When I've had enough time to sort the car, it'll be painted in 918.

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    Life is always getting in the way, work, travel, relationships, other interests etc...

Front end is looking good. Rear end is shit.

Love my BACCA mirrors:

Engine bay looking a little cluttered now:

Might pull the motor again and paint it orange in there too.

I think 5 more years and it might be ready to drive.

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    So this might not seem a big update for most of you, but for me, this has been almost 4 years coming. When I purchased the car, I've been between 700 - 90 miles away. When you're living overseas, working full time, on the weekend trying to renovate a house, season ticket holder for your football team, have an addiction to cycling, a girlfriend, love of traveling and holidays and sometimes just want to sit on the sofa, Netflix and chill, not a lot of work has happened. Today, I finally took delivery of my Nissan Bluebird P510 SSS Coupe. I'm a happy boy.

Untitled

Untitled

Nice to be able to see it from the kitchen.

Untitled

That super rare Checkman racing seat

Untitled

And possibly my favourite view of the car

Untitled

Exhaust is a masterpiece.

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    It was supposed to be finished by now, but as my mate is doing it in his spare time and on his driveway, things got in the way like the weather, lack of light and trying to find some decent metal to weld the hangers too.

The system is now finished, we just need to fix a bit of rust up by the trunk drops so we have something solid to weld a hanger on to.

Untitled

As straight as possible and tucked up out the way as much as possible. Hindsight, probably should have made a customer brace for the gearbox to get it further up.

Untitled

Something to make it a little quieter

Untitled

So much deliberation about the tail pipe, the amount of poke and weather or not to go for a down turned dolphin nose (I loved the RE Amemiya dolphin system I had on my FD) or straight out.

Untitled

And that header again.

Untitled

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    Looks good fitted:

by

Excuse the paint work, most of the black came off while pressure washing the engine bay.

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    So this is the progress with the header

by

Or exhaust manifold as we call it over here.

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    Road trip in the 510

Off to get some work done by , on Flickr

Furthest it's moved in 3 years, about 40 miles into South London where it's going to get some work done. Mates rates when he's not busy, so like everything, this could take a while.

Maybe there will be an update soon.

Leave a comment:

• rockabillydude
    replied
    mann this thing is beautifull, patina an all!
    one could allmost envision a jnc interpertation of herbie around a car like this

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    153 days this time since I last saw the car. I made the long round trip today to get a few things done and get it ready for transport. Not wanting to put in the effort and push it out and not being able to find where the tow hook is hiding in my Mercedes I used the Mazda RX-4 as a tow vehicle

Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Engine is in, carbs are on, dizzy in place, rad bolted in. Everything that'll get in the way of the header basically. All being well, next week it should be at the exhaust shop and then 3-4 weeks time it'll finally be at my house where it'll be met with a whole load of new parts.

Leave a comment:

• Datsun style
    replied
    Originally posted by KiKiIchiBan View Post
    I've not worked on the Coupe for 214 days now. 139 days since I last saw it. Bad owner. Garage is still empty, but it's dry which is the main thing. Got to sort the garden over Easter and paint the outside of the house but I am hoping to have it brought over here by then.
    Know them feels mate. I've been bad too.

Can't wait to see this back on track though mate!

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    I've not worked on the Coupe for 214 days now. 139 days since I last saw it. Bad owner. Garage is still empty, but it's dry which is the main thing. Got to sort the garden over Easter and paint the outside of the house but I am hoping to have it brought over here by then.

Leave a comment:

• KiKiIchiBan
    replied
    Built a home for the coupe. Only 10x18ft but it's bigger than the car and I can hide a couple more bikes in there. Time to be re united and finally bring it home!

by , on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Datsun style
    replied
    Got me stumped sorry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X