Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't Tokyo A City of Japan?

Greetings!

Due to some official work, I am living in Tokyo, but this is the first time when I am having a debate with a friend that Tokyo isn't a city. My friend referred that Tokyo is a prefecture like we have different states in the US, and it has many wards and remote islands. Even we search for the biggest city in the world, we get an answer that it is 'Tokyo'. When I search either it is a state or city, then I found these articles and sources:

https://www.jluggage.com/blog/japan/is-tokyo-a-city/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan

Many of articles and sources claim that Tokyo is one of the 47 prefectures of the world but then why we foreigner or even some locals consider Tokyo a city? I am also willing to know the difference between Tokyo Metropolis and Tokyo City. Is Tokyo city a part of metropolis and metropolis is a state like any US state?

All in all, I am confused about the status of Tokyo. I would be grateful if you share your thoughts with some facts about the status of Tokyo.

​Waiting for your responses.

There is Tokyo the city and there is Metropolitan Tokyo the quasi province. The "Mayor" of the city of Tokyo is the Governor of metropolitan Tokyo. Metropolitan Tokyo stretches from the old Edo region to Fussa Machi in the West.
    MikeRL411

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

Very interesting and new information for me

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRL411 View Post
          There is Tokyo the city and there is Metropolitan Tokyo the quasi province. The "Mayor" of the city of Tokyo is the Governor of metropolitan Tokyo. Metropolitan Tokyo stretches from the old Edo region to Fussa Machi in the West.

Probably, Tokyo is more than a city status.

Comment

Working...
          X