X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official thread for JNC forum issues or suggestions

Hi all!

As many have noticed, the JNC forum is going through some growing pains at the moment. We're currently working hard to hammer out all the issues we are having, but there will be some stuff we don't think of or overlook. This is now the official place to post any issues, concerns or suggestions you may have. I have posted a list below of current problems I'm working hard at figuring out. If there is something not on this list or you have any additional information to add (like screenshots of broken views), please reply to this thread to let me know. I'll update the list and get to work!

Thanks for sticking with us through the bumpy roads we battle across!

Cheers,
    David

Please note, a lot of these are on hold while we work through some crazy database issues on the backend. That means we're doing a ton of work for something that is totally invisible. It's like body work, hours of sanding and when you look at it, it seems like nothing has changed. Hopefully, we'll get the database issues squared away soon and I can get back to focusing on the problems below!

================================================== ================================================== ===========

The list (in no particular order):

Long posts try to load all on one page, causing them to fail to load (See temporary fix below)
    The upload picture function uploads pictures super tiny
    Go to most recent post instead of first post when opening a thread (punching in a page number is clumsy)
    Some post view numbers are broken
    Create a tab for “own posts”
    Find way to customize notifications in "Messages" tab up top
    Mobile view is broken on iPhone 6
    (It looks alright on my HTC One M9, can others weigh in on this as well)
    Enable desktop view on mobile
    Visual inconsistencies on desktop site (borders, coloring, etc.)
    Blogs, Articles, and Groups tabs don’t function as intended (will either remove or re-purpose)
    Revise modules on right side
    Cleanup of unused forums / additional forum to help clean up OT
    Multiple line signatures causing issues

================================================== ================================================== ===========

Fixed things:

Latest Topics tab does not work -> Should show all posts from the last 10 days now!
    (New Topics should work, but reports of it acting strange) -> New topics only shows unread topics, changed the title to reflect that
    Turn signatures back on -> Sigs are back on! If you can't see your sig, make sure you have it enabled in your User Control Panel.
    Banner does not lead to main JNC page -> This should now link to the main blog
    Custom Avatars are not working -> They should be working now

If you are having a problem with all posts trying to load on one page, try this fix:
    Click your user name at the top and click "My Profile"
    Click "Edit Settings"
    Select the "Account" tab
    Scroll down until you see "Posts per Page"
    Select anything in here (I selected "10")
    Click "Save Changes" at the bottom
    1967 LT23 Mitsubishi 360 // 1967 L10A Cosmo Sports // 1971 S30 Fairlady Z // 1973 PR95 Bellett 1800 GT // 1978 PA95 Isuzu 117 Coupe // 1979 SA22C Mazda RX7 // 1988 Z31 300 ZX SS
    Homepage: http://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/home

Is there a way to turn off the notifications thing coming through in the "messages" area? I've disabled all the notification tick boxes but still seem to be getting them from older posts

Comment

Originally posted by Mlracing View Post
      Is there a way to turn off the notifications thing coming through in the "messages" area? I've disabled all the notification tick boxes but still seem to be getting them from older posts
      Hmm, I'm not sure. I seem to be getting them only when new posts show up in any threads I'm subscribed to (which I think it automatically subscribes to any threads I've posted in). That may be what is happening, in which case, you can try unsubscribing from whichever threads you're getting notifications from. If that doesn't work, I'll have to dig deeper to see what's causing the problem. I'll see if I can find a way to customize the notifications.

Cheers,
      David
      1967 LT23 Mitsubishi 360 // 1967 L10A Cosmo Sports // 1971 S30 Fairlady Z // 1973 PR95 Bellett 1800 GT // 1978 PA95 Isuzu 117 Coupe // 1979 SA22C Mazda RX7 // 1988 Z31 300 ZX SS

Comment

Regarding the problem of all posts loading on one page and long threads not being able to be opened, it appears to be a problem with the vBulletin software not knowing the proper post count on users who registered on old software. Here's a quick fix to get you going while I try to figure out some way to make it work for everyone:

Click your user name at the top and click "My Profile"
        Click "Edit Settings"
        Select the "Account" tab
        Scroll down until you see "Posts per Page"
        Select anything in here (I selected "10")
        Click "Save Changes" at the bottom

That should fix any problems with threads not loading correctly. The forum default is set to 15 posts per page and no matter what you selected in the Posts per Page setting, you should only see 15 posts. I think it just requires old users to update their settings before the software can realize what is going on.

If anyone gives this a try, please let me know if it fixed your problem!

Cheers,
        David

Comment

tried that and it won't save the changes it stays on default

Comment

Originally posted by rx4rx7 View Post
            tried that and it won't save the changes it stays on default
            Ya, it doesn't save the changes for me either, but it does kick start the system into functioning normally. Have you tried opening Kev's or Gypsy's post after you clicked "Save Changes"? Did it have the same problem? Try opening my Mitsubishi 360 post (that was a long post that I got to load a few times), how many posts per page do you see?

Link: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...eaming-save-me

Cheers,
            David

Comment

yip seems to be working, checked yours and gypsy's it came up with more than 10 post's on each

Comment

yip seems to be working, checked yours and gypsy's it came up with more than 10 post's on each
                Great! It should be 15 posts per page, that's what the forum default is. It's a problem with the new forum software not resetting the default posts per page for legacy users. So, if you registered your username on the old old PHPBB board, like we did, then it causes the problem. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a way to kick start every legacy user without making them go through the convoluted steps, but I'm still digging.

Let me know if it starts acting up again!

Cheers,
                David

Comment

thanks for all your hard work David and i hope you have a great Christmas holiday

Comment

Nice to see the upgrade! I know it'll take a while to get everything in it's right place but I'm sure the new features are worth it. I am having an idiot moment though: where did signatures go? I can't find them through account settings or anywhere else...
                    Dean L 1985 Toyota Celica Supra \\ 1971 Toyota Crown MS65 \\ 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

Comment

i think i saw it under user settings--account-- conversation detail options--show signatures

Comment

Dear Santa,

Can I have kevs thread back , please ?

Comment

It's still there?
                          Originally posted by datsunfreak
                          No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Comment

thanks for all your hard work David and i hope you have a great Christmas holiday
                            No problem! You have a great Christmas holiday too!

Originally posted by deanfun View Post
                            Nice to see the upgrade! I know it'll take a while to get everything in it's right place but I'm sure the new features are worth it. I am having an idiot moment though: where did signatures go? I can't find them through account settings or anywhere else...
                            Ooh, I never noticed that the signatures were gone. It might just be a setting that I can flip on, I'll take a look at that right quick!

Originally posted by DmK66 View Post
                            Dear Santa,

Can I have kevs thread back , please ?
                            Can you not see Kev's thread? It's still there for me too. Did you try the fix I listed up above for fixing the all posts on one page thing? I'll post it up in the first post of this thread too, just to make it more visible.

Cheers,
                            David

Comment

Sorry chaps, I was staring out of the window while you were covering that subject. All sorted now !

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X