X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.

Originally posted by e-at_me
    neko, get those Hayashis!!
    Not a bad idea, but not sure this set for sale are any good without an x-ray check... To round out seeing what the wheel options look like, here's a set of Fuchs and TT RS steels fitted:

But the red car's Watanabe above looks OK too. So, a friend of a friend has a set I am going to look at this morning, so if they're OK, they might have to do.

Originally posted by palatine
    I've got to say, that dash is a beautiful example of gauge clockwork. Classy.
    Nice simple design indeed. Reminds me of my early 911, just missing the matching clock... Neko.
    The Black Cat - S800M Coupe.

Comment

Boring and dirty job. But at least I know the differential and gearbox oil is new, clean, and the right types. Why does gear oil stink so bad?

I guess someone did not have the right size 10mm square drive for the differential drain and fill plugs, using the well proven hammer and screwdriver removal technique previously. I went to replace with new ones, but could only find 1.5mm pitch 20mm plugs, not 2.0mm pitch as per these. Still, a little PTFE tape on the neck threads, and they seat nicely. The heads just look mashed. Again, only a cosmetic change not needed for any function...

The SAE90 differential oil (LSD high pressure rated) has made the rear-end a little quieter, as looking at the viscosity of the previous fill, it looked like regular gear-box oil. Same same I suppose, but a bit quieter is nice.

I also picked up some NOS period Racing Service Watanabe wheels. Gray, still in boxes & original packing, with original valve stems, RS Watanabe valve caps, and manufacturer guarantee cards (above). Made in November 1988, they've not been used. Neko.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuroneko
        I also picked up some NOS period Racing Service Watanabe wheels. Gray, still in boxes & original packing, with original valve stems, RS Watanabe valve caps, and manufacturer guarantee cards. Made in November 1988, they've not been used. Neko.
        WHAT

Pictures now!
        -Cam
        1980 Toyota Celica
        1984 Porsche 911
        1988 Mazda RX-7
        Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
        http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5757/thetunahere.png

Comment

With the mounting pad on the Wat being thicker than the steel, the rear studs will need replacing with longer ones, and I need some new tires before fitting. The fronts appear OK on the test fit above presenting two threads proud of the nut. The disks filling the void nicely too, avoiding that silly look of tiny disks seen through massive wheels. Color seems to suit well. Rather pleased, though I will need to freshen up the rear drums a little. The font on the guarantee card has a great nostalgic look. Thanks. Neko.

Comment

Epic win! Those will look awesome fitted. Hard for me to choose between Wats and TE37s as my favourite wheel of all time, but I think the Wats will best suit the S800.

Aside, it's amusing to me that such a light car has 5-stud wheels. What's the PCD?

Comment

^ Hey thanks! Agree, the gray matches the dark body well. Someone has offered to buy my old steels too, making it double-plus good.

Curiously, I've only seen a few S-series with Watanabe in Japan, with most fitting Cosmic. It might be a gaijin thing too, as I suspect the Watanabe is considered a little 'working class' locally. Lucky I've got a matching Xebec shirt...

It's a 5x 130PCD, and why Honda used it I do not think anyone knows. At the time they were putting together the S-series design the 356C and TTS both had 5x 130 PCD wheels, so perhaps the thought was to be able and share performance wheels of the day?

Got a set of mild Advan this week as well, and am waiting on proper nuts, so after stud replacement, I can fit. Neko.

Comment

Step One - fitting & balancing at my local stando. 175/60R13 Yokohama Advan AD05/06 replacing 185/60R13 Spainisch made Targa.

Step Two - replacing original rear short studs, with alloy-length longer (+15mm) studs. Initially, I had thought axle removal and press needed, but a fellow S-hachi driver suggested the method of a lump-hammer, and loosening brake plate to allow the long stud to wriggle in place a lot easier than removing the whole axle. So I capped the old studs and tapped them out easily, removing the shoe hardware the new ones wiggled in, I cleaned the hub splines and using the steel nuts to tighten up, the new ones pulled in flush nicely. Making sure the rear-chamfer cleared the inner hub flange.

Though the man at Watanabe advised the OEM steel nuts were OK for street use on the alumi wheels, as others suggested I am waiting on delivery of some proper M10xP1.5 steel nuts with a 60 degree taper suited for the alumi wheels, so when I've got those a test drive will be next. Neko.

Comment

just waiting for the last piece of the puzzle then.

Originally posted by Kuroneko
                  I've only seen a few S-series with Watanabe in Japan, with most fitting Cosmic. It might be a gaijin thing too, as I suspect the Watanabe is considered a little 'working class' locally. Lucky I've got a matching Xebec shirt...
                  this sort of thing is fascinating to me, I have next to zero insight into class distinctions within Japanese society.

Comment

Originally posted by Camshaft
                    Pictures now!
                    Sure; I've got some replacement lug-nuts now, so I will fit and get the car out of the driveway for some proper photographs then... Any excuse! Next on the car comes dirty, messy, less fun jobs I suppose - the ignition system (I've got some new plugs & lead retainers ready to go, and am waiting on some Pertronix hardware), making a battery tie-down of some sort (OEM parts are near impossible to get, so any suggestions would be great), new door & tailgate weather seals, fix some bits on the interior like securing some more sound-deadening, securing carpets somehow, replacing vent foam seals, and then perhaps a wiring clean-up.
                    Originally posted by samoht
                    just waiting for the last piece of the puzzle then.
                    this sort of thing is fascinating to me, I have next to zero insight into class distinctions within Japanese society.
                    A difficult subject on which to make an intelligent comment, not without resorting to generalizations perhaps. But, still entertaining... Thanks. Neko.

Comment

Proper lug-nuts fitted, and I was planning on getting out and taking some real photographs, but too much else on. I need to adjust ride-height a little, but the change in feel is remarkable. Much better turn-in, with more squirming-about road feedback present (which I like), and no real change in compliance - though rough roads are not exactly common in Tokyo...

The new wheel / tire combination weighs 12.5kg a corner, not as light as I thought they would be, over the 13.1kg of the old combination, but a little change for the better. Plus, they look damn nasty... My lovely wife commented, 'OK, now I see, it looks like a man's car...' See ya! Neko.

Comment

Good lord that is sexy as hell. Coolest S800 coupe I've ever seen, and I LOVE S800 coupes...get me some photos in desktop size, please... :P
                        -Cam
                        1980 Toyota Celica
                        1984 Porsche 911
                        1988 Mazda RX-7
                        Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
                        http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5757/thetunahere.png

Comment

Very cool, we await the proper photo-shoot It looks much more of a sports car now.

I think it's tough to put more rubber on the road *and* reduce unsprung weight significantly, since the tyre will be heavy regardless of how super-light the wheel is, but any reduction has to be a good thing.

Comment

wow!!! wheels make car EPIC!!!

Comment

Thanks! All coming together, yes. More work needed. Ride height of course (still trying to get torsion bar adjusters loosened), but also that other stuff before its ready for proper photographs. It snaps OK though when out and about...

... and if you were wondering just how small an ur-S is on the road:

Small. See ya! Neko.

Comment

Excellent choice in wheels and some great photos as always(downtown Shibuya?). I had some -6 offset 8.5x15 in a similar colour on my old s30z and I was never convinced about their looks on an S800 until I saw your car.

Not sure what the rest of your suspension is like but I've also just ordered some height and damper adjustable coilovers from Peter Rose at Sherwood Garage here in the UK. The fronts have springs as well so should be interesting to see how they feel compared to the old Konis.

*I should also probably start my own page instead of hijacking your build thread...but you do a much better job

Comment

Working...
                                X